Adaptec 1542B not recognized by 1.2.8 scsi kernel!

Adaptec 1542B not recognized by 1.2.8 scsi kernel!

Post by Jeff Mill » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Slackware 2.3. This
version is using the linux kernel 1.2.8.  I am currently using 1.1.59
with no problems.

When I attempted to start the system from the boot floppies, I got
something similar to this:

Buslogic_out failed Buslogic SCSI:buslogic_stat:
status=39 intrflags=84

BusLogic SCSI setup_mailboxes:failed setting up mailboxes
aha1542_in failed (3) Unable to determine Adaptec DMA Priority.
Disabling board

No BIOS32 extentions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry.

SCSI: 0 hosts.
SCSI: detected total.

I am currently running Linux 1.1.59 as I type this, so I don't think
my controller has gone bad.

Is the adaptec 1542B no longer supported?
Do I need to compile the kernel myself instead of using Slackware,
and select a different option flag?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Jeff Miller

Post by Peter Matt » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Buslogic_out failed Buslogic SCSI:buslogic_stat:
>status=39 intrflags=84

>BusLogic SCSI setup_mailboxes:failed setting up mailboxes
>aha1542_in failed (3) Unable to determine Adaptec DMA Priority.
>Disabling board

>No BIOS32 extentions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry.

>SCSI: 0 hosts.
>SCSI: detected total.

I had this exact same problem. The solution is to recompile the kernel
with only the adaptec driver. Actually, I think the problem is with the
buslogic driver, but compiling the kernel with only the adaptec driver
should (definately?) work.

Peter Mattis

Adaptec 1542B not recognized by 1.2.8 scsi kernel!

Post by armin irg » Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Last weekend i got the same problem.
I used the bood-disk from Slackware 2.1.0 and the root-disk from Slackware
2.3.0, it work's.
The system runs and i got no errors about the different versions.
I hope it helps you.

cu Armin Irger

Adaptec 1542B not recognized by 1.2.8 scsi kernel!

Post by Bob Sali » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I've had a similar problem with my Adaptec clone caching disk
controller. I agree with a similar posting that its probably due
to a previous configuration probe during the boot process.

Softworks Limited                      http://www.mcs.com/~softwork
       Phil Zimmermann, PGP author, is a hero, not a criminal!
       Help Phil by using this slogan on your email.

1. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

This sounds like an error condition.
No. In all cases the LUN should be "0" since all of the devices that
you have contain imbedded SCSI controllers. The Physical address should be
what each device is strapped as, on the device itself.

You should also run ASPI4DOS and ASPITAPE to get the most out of the
configuration. I have a Wangtek 150 MB tape drive, but I gave up on it - it
is a useless piece of steel and wires. I now use an Archive 2150S.

I hope this helps.

--
---
Michael Burke

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
Tel: 416-542-9484  Fax: 416-542-9479
UUCP: ...!uunet!uunet.ca!seachg!burke

2. what is CERT?

3. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM SCSI TAPE

4. Linux-friendly ISP??

5. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI CD-ROM and TAPE

6. home-made POST?

7. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SC

8. dhcpd leases

9. Adaptec 1542B not properly recognised?

10. Adaptec 1542B SCSI card not working for Slackware 2.3.0

11. Adaptec 1542B SCSI card not working for Slack

12. HP SCSI tape not working on Adaptec 1542B

13. Adaptec 1542b SCSI error with kernel 1.3.18