QIC-117 & Kernel 1.3.34

Post by The Great EDP O » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Has Qic-117 support been taken out of the Kernel?  If not you might want
to put it back into the config.in in the file arch/i386/config.in.

Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance

Chris

--
/======================================================================\
| Chris Yeo                      |                                     |

| Web: http://duke.usask.ca/~yeo |                                     |
\======================================================================/

QIC-117 & Kernel 1.3.34

Post by Christoph Lamet » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Linus has changed the time of device driver installation during bootup;
: as far as I understand it, they used to be started before full memory
: management was available. The drivers (including ftape) have to be
: updated to the new situation, to use __get_dma_pages().

: So we'll just have to wait for an updated ftape.
Am I right that there is currently no maintainer???

In case anyone wants to do the job: Please integrate the FTAPE driver into the
kernel tree!!!
 Christoph Lameter            FTS Box 466, Pasadena, CA 91182
 Internet Administrator       Who is like Jesus... who is like God...?

QIC-117 & Kernel 1.3.34

Post by Henrik Storn » Tue, 17 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Has Qic-117 support been taken out of the Kernel?  If not you might want
>to put it back into the config.in in the file arch/i386/config.in.
>Can someone shed some light on this for me.

The only reason for having FTAPE as a config option for the kernel, was to
allocate a DMA buffer. With the recent (1.3.33 and later) changes to kernel
memory management, it is now possible to allocate such buffers when the
module is loaded, instead of having them pre-allocated. So Linus has dropped
the Ftape-support in the kernel.

From Linus' 1.3.34 announcement:
  Support for CONFIG_FTAPE has been dropped, as the ftape driver now
  instead should use __get_dma_pages(GFP_KERNEL, 5) to allocate a 128kB
  area (== 4 32kB buffers).

I guess Bas Laarhoven (maintainer of ftape) will put out an update sometime.

--
Henrik Storner             | "Netnews is far more *ive than *."

QIC-117 & Kernel 1.3.34

Post by Juergen Pra » Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>Has Qic-117 support been taken out of the Kernel?  If not you might want
>>to put it back into the config.in in the file arch/i386/config.in.
>The only reason for having FTAPE as a config option for the kernel, was to
>allocate a DMA buffer. With the recent (1.3.33 and later) changes to kernel
>memory management, it is now possible to allocate such buffers when the
>module is loaded, instead of having them pre-allocated. So Linus has dropped
>the Ftape-support in the kernel.
>From Linus' 1.3.34 announcement:
>  Support for CONFIG_FTAPE has been dropped, as the ftape driver now
>  instead should use __get_dma_pages(GFP_KERNEL, 5) to allocate a 128kB
>  area (== 4 32kB buffers).

I just picked up an inofficial patch off the mailing list given by Jon Tombs
and put it onto our ftp server seperated into a readme and the compressed
patch. Since Jon experienced problems allocating one 128KB DMA buffer,
he allocates multiple 32KB memory chunks.
I didn't have time yet to try it out, but will do it this evening.

You will find it on

ftp.fb9dv.uni-duisburg.de: /pub/linux/tape/ftape-2.03b-1.3.34+.gz
                           /pub/linux/tape/ftape-2.03b-1.3.34+.readme

Hope this helps
Juergen
--

   University of Duisburg  |********************************************
   Electrical Engineering  |     Logic is a systematic method of coming

1. ppp on kernel 1.3.34

Just to warm your heart - you are not alone in this world who is getting this
message.
My misery went further, though - I've got this message the first time I have
rebooted with the new kernel.
The next time, the machine just hangs stating it has started sendmail...

2. two devices into one serial port?

3. Kernel 1.3.34: Cannot get a free page.

4. unknown devices in fbsd4.0

5. QIC-117 kernel compilation problems

6. wtmp just stops

7. I couldn't compile Kernel with QIC-117 tape option.

8. kernel on sdram

9. Problems rebuilding kernel with QIC-117 tape support

10. "Unable to obtain scsi_result buffer" [1.3.34]!!!

11. pppd 2.2.0a crashing under Linux 1.3.34

12. Linux 1.3.34 and PPP 2.2 - Problem

13. Sound troubles...[1.3.34]