polling device drivers?

Post by mkri.. » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

i'm working on a developmental network driver, and i've been reading up
on rubini and examining 3c509.c, etc.

while the ultimate goal is an interrupt based driver, for target
specific reasons, i won't be able to use interrupts to start with, and
so need to use polling.  in chapter 14, "interrupt-driven operation"
rubini actually alludes to the fact that some kernel drivers do use
polling, but unfortunately doesn't go into any more detail.

can anyone give me some pointers on how i would go about this, or which
kernel sources to check out?

thanks in advance.

--mk

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

polling device drivers?

Post by Rick Ell » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

>i'm working on a developmental network driver, and i've been reading up
>on rubini and examining 3c509.c, etc.

>while the ultimate goal is an interrupt based driver, for target
>specific reasons, i won't be able to use interrupts to start with, and
>so need to use polling.  in chapter 14, "interrupt-driven operation"
>rubini actually alludes to the fact that some kernel drivers do use
>polling, but unfortunately doesn't go into any more detail.

>can anyone give me some pointers on how i would go about this, or which
>kernel sources to check out?

Take a look at the lp driver.

--
http://www.fnet.net/~ellis/photo/linux.html

1. Polling device driver

We need some help with a dsp board that the manufacturer has no irq for the
board and the module spawns 2 child process this is a polling device.  The
manufacturer said that this works fine on windows and dose not plan to
change the driver or the hardware. The manufacturer has a test program that
will process a single packet at a time but will not do multi packets. If we
try to send and recieve multi packet the driver will lockup or takes all  of
the cpu time. We are using kernel 2.0.34.

Thanks Much

2. Libretto partitioning problems

3. My Freebsd driver hangs in poll function after some time (problem with poll)

4. Increase inode

5. device driver: using poll to wait for an event

6. Problem with svc_register() on SCO ODT 2.0

7. Poll()/select() device driver - new version available

8. HP Deskjet 710c

9. device driver: using poll to wait for an event

10. How many times does the poll method in device driver get called for each application select?

11. Device driver calling another device driver.

12. Device driver question (generic device driver)

13. poll/select in udprelay - anyone have poll.c(h) code for linux?