HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Ralp » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound Blaster
compatible.   When i configure the card under sndconf I've tried regular,
16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O settings. My specific
card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro Compatible, which I have never
gotten to work at all. NO Sound.   I was wondering if anyone could suggest
anything to help my problem or tell me where i could download drivers.
Thanx for your time.

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Peter Samuels » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound
> Blaster compatible.  When i configure the card under sndconf I've
> tried regular, 16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O
> settings. My specific card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro
> Compatible, which I have never gotten to work at all. NO Sound.

Is this the OPL3-SA1 or OPL3-SAx or what?  In any case try the MSS
emulation.  Sound Blaster emulations generally don't work in Linux.

Recent development kernels have support for OPL3-SAx as well as
OPL3-SA1 directly, though I don't think they do all that much besides
link the relevant MSS stuff in.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Daniel N. San » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

#-> I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound Blaster
#-> compatible.   When i configure the card under sndconf I've tried regular,
#-> 16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O settings. My specific
#-> card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro Compatible, which I have never
#-> gotten to work at all. NO Sound.   I was wondering if anyone could suggest
#-> anything to help my problem or tell me where i could download drivers.
#-> Thanx for your time.

OPL3-SAx is only SB Pro compatible.  If you want 16-bit, use the WSS/MSS
drivers.  For complete support, use the SAx-specific drivers.

---

Coming Soon  -  DOOM ]I[: What the Hell?

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Tony Frier » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I too have a Yamaha OPL3-SAx board and it works real fine under Linux
2.0.3x.
I found the step-by-step guide at the following address:

http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/solo/216/yamaha.htm

(I've just checked it and the link's still there)

Basically, it suggests that the card is in fact a Crystal-Based card (which
it indeed
seems to be!)

Hope this helps.
Rgds.
Tony.

Post by Adam Stephen » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound
> > Blaster compatible.  When i configure the card under sndconf I've
> > tried regular, 16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O
> > settings. My specific card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro
> > Compatible, which I have never gotten to work at all. NO Sound.

I have a OPL3-SaX, and I was only able to get it to work by using
loadlin.
It would set up just fine as a Sb16 or WSS at that point.

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Steven Han » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound Blaster
> compatible.

If it's an OPL3-SA1 card, there's an explicit driver available in
2.1.x [can't recall from where]. If it's an OPL3-SAx of some other
sort, try configuring it as a cs4232.

If you're on 2.0.x, make sure you're using 2.0.36, or else find and
apply the oss-free patch to >= 38s9 for linux 2.0.x kernels.

HTH,

S.

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Andrij Koru » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> > I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound
>> > Blaster compatible.  When i configure the card under sndconf I've
>> > tried regular, 16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O
>> > settings. My specific card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro
>> > Compatible, which I have never gotten to work at all. NO Sound.

>I have a OPL3-SaX, and I was only able to get it to work by using
>loadlin.
>It would set up just fine as a Sb16 or WSS at that point.

In 2.1.130+ there is native driver for OPL-SA2,3 but you still need to
use isapnp to configure card (if not using loadlin)
But ALSA http://alsa.jcu.cz is better.

HELP w/ Yamaha OPL3-Sa Sound

Post by Daniel N. San » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

#-> > I have a Yamaha OPL3-Sa sound card that is supposed to be Sound
#-> > Blaster compatible.  When i configure the card under sndconf I've
#-> > tried regular, 16bit, and Pro settings w/ correct IRQ, DMA, and I/O
#-> > settings. My specific card is supposed to be Sound Blaster Pro
#-> > Compatible, which I have never gotten to work at all. NO Sound.
#->
#-> Is this the OPL3-SA1 or OPL3-SAx or what?  In any case try the MSS
#-> emulation.  Sound Blaster emulations generally don't work in Linux.
#->
#-> Recent development kernels have support for OPL3-SAx as well as
#-> OPL3-SA1 directly, though I don't think they do all that much besides
#-> link the relevant MSS stuff in.

Actually, they link in all of the compatibility:  Sound Blaster, MIDI, and
WSS.  Since they all use overlapping resources, it is impossible to load
the drivers separately.

---

If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?