insmod

Post by Matt Chesel » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

When I do an 'insmod' on the serial device driver
(/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/serial.c), I get this message:

serial.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

I tried doing a 'insmod -f serial.o' but I get the same message.

Is there something I can do at compile time or is there something I'm missing
here?

I'm doing a simple compile:

        % gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c serial.c

Cheers,

Matt

insmod

Post by Gordon Haverlan » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> When I do an 'insmod' on the serial device driver
> (/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/serial.c), I get this message:

> serial.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

> I tried doing a 'insmod -f serial.o' but I get the same message.

> Is there something I can do at compile time or is there something I'm missing
> here?

> I'm doing a simple compile:

>         % gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c serial.c

I've never compiled anything to do with the kernel that way,
I've
always used the makefile.  But with modules, you can either
have
generic modules, or you can have versioned modules.  If you
use
versioned modules, they are tied into the kernel.  If you
upgrade
the kernel version, you must upgrade the modules.  I don't
believe
this happens with the generic modules.  Downside of generic
modules,
if an interface changes, you're screwed.

Gord
#include <disclaimer.h>

insmod

Post by Peter Samuels » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm doing a simple compile:

>    % gcc -D__KERNEL__ -c serial.c

You need to make sure gcc is getting the right include files.  With
recent libc6 releases providing their own /usr/include/linux
hierarchies, you most likely need to set the include directory
manually.  So, one of these:

  $ gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I../../include -c serial.c
  $ gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-x.y.z/include -c serial.c

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

1. insmod: ipv6.o: insmod net-pf-10 failed

I just installed Debian Woody 3.0r1 and then downloaded kernel 2.4.20,
configed, compiled rebooted.  Everything is great except I keep
getting this message in my logs:

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.o: insmod net-pf-10
failed

I didn't configure any IPv6 stuff.  And don't particularly want this.
How do I get rid of it?

-j

2. Dell GX1 Perfect Xconfig Setup?

3. Problem in Module <insmod, rmmod>

4. MCA and Linux ?!?

5. insmod via82cxxx failed

6. x86 2.5.1 PCMCIA Modem disconnects on connect

7. linux tcp/ip stack as a module...insmod problems

8. RAM-Disk

9. can't insmod ... help!!!!

10. kerneld/modprobe/insmod confusion...

11. Upgrading Kernels - Now Insmod fails...

12. insmod problem

13. insmod