creating a bootable redhat install CD

Post by t.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:04:13

I usually purchase a redhat package, and I like having the bootable CD.

One time however, it was late, and I need the latest release and
couldn't wait for next day delivery.

I downloaded the distribution and burned it to CD but the install would
fail somewhere during the boot process.

It has been a while since I did this, but I remember that a mount
command showed my burned CD as being mounted "read only"

When I mount an official Redhat CD, the perms show "owner rw" perms on
the root and all files.

It makes sense to me that the boot CD needs to fool the system into
believing the filesystem is read/write, when actually it is read only,
for the limited use that the installation requires.

I looked at the mkisofs src and the cdrecord src and I cannot see where
I could possibly force the perms on the CD to be anything but read only.

Does anyone know what the trick is?  Or am I way off base?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kasper Dupon » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:57:56

> I usually purchase a redhat package, and I like having the bootable CD.

> One time however, it was late, and I need the latest release and
> couldn't wait for next day delivery.

> I downloaded the distribution and burned it to CD but the install would
> fail somewhere during the boot process.

> It has been a while since I did this, but I remember that a mount
> command showed my burned CD as being mounted "read only"

> When I mount an official Redhat CD, the perms show "owner rw" perms on
> the root and all files.

> It makes sense to me that the boot CD needs to fool the system into
> believing the filesystem is read/write, when actually it is read only,
> for the limited use that the installation requires.

> I looked at the mkisofs src and the cdrecord src and I cannot see where
> I could possibly force the perms on the CD to be anything but read only.

> Does anyone know what the trick is?  Or am I way off base?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

First of all downloading the eltorito ISO file and burning that
should eliminate all possibilities for you do something wrong
with the permitions.

If you have made the ISO file yourself with mkisofs you can do
something with the permitions. I don't think the install program
depends on any permitions, but I could be wrong.

Permitions for files on a CD only exist in the Rock Ridge
extension, mkisofs has two different options for creating a
Rock Ridge extension:
 -R will set owner, group and permitions like on the original.
 -r will set owner and group to 0, permitions will be set to
    readable for everyone if it was originally readable to
    anyone. The same for executable. All other permitions
    including write will be cleared.

The values on the CD can be overriden when mounting the CD,
but you probably didn't change that part of the install
program.

If you make the iso file yourself you must however remember
the eltorito options if you want to boot from the CD.

The process of burning the ISO file to the CD should cannot
affect the boot process or the permitions, unless there are
physical errors on the media.

--
Kasper Dupont

1. creating a bootable CD with a Redhat dist

I want to clone a machine that has a specially configured kernel (Redhat 6.1)
and certain pacakges installed.

I need to install about 30 machines possibly in one strike.
I'm thinking of using kickstart. But I believe this requires
a Linux release CD residing on the server.

Any ideas how I should proceed?

Would it be easier to build a diskless client/server, boot diskless and
dump the root volume to the local disk? Afterwards run some
customized scripts that perform individual tast for the praticular
machine (like creating /etc/fstab, /etc/exports etc.)

The client should also become NIS, amd/nfs capable and is going
to be bound to an existing NIS/NFS network.

--

2. Client for Proxy FTP?

3. How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

4. Command String stored in the Kernel?

5. Creating bootable linux cd from install tree

6. Num Lock

7. Creating Bootable Install CD for RH 7.0

8. WEP Key with Cisco Aironet

9. Creating bootable install CD's of Solaris 8 x86

10. CD-R devices and creating bootable cds

11. how to create a bootable CD

12. How do I create a bootable CD-R for Sun,Ultra-4 ?

13. Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?