Linux programming - Help wanted

Post by Andrew Larte » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I've been programming in DOS for the last 6 years (C++/ASM). I've now made the move to
Linux and fancy doing some low level coding. Are there and documents describing Linux
programming. I'm looking for interrupt lists and descriptions of each call, file formats
and the general protocols for communicating with the kernel.

        Can anyone help?

Post by Brian Mitche » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I've been programming in DOS for the last 6 years (C++/ASM). I've now made the m
> ove to
>Linux and fancy doing some low level coding. Are there and documents describing
> Linux
>programming. I'm looking for interrupt lists and descriptions of each call, file
>  formats
>and the general protocols for communicating with the kernel.

The main interface between ring3 (thats you) and ring0 (thats the kernel)
are the system calls. Documentation for some of these can be found in
section 2 of the manpages.

--

Unix Security / Perl / WWW / CGI        http://www.saturn.net/~brian
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"

Linux programming - Help wanted

Post by Joe Smi » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I've been programming in DOS for the last 6 years (C++/ASM). I've
> now made the move to Linux and fancy doing some low level
> coding. Are there and documents describing Linux programming. I'm
> looking for interrupt lists and descriptions of each call, file
> formats and the general protocols for communicating with the kernel.

I think you'll find that "low level coding" has a very different
meaning under Unix (and Linux) than for DOS.  Only device drivers go
straight to the hardware and then only under strict rules to maintain
system integrity.

Everything has a defined programming interface, which you do NOT want
to avoid.

For application level system calls, read section 2 of the manual pages.

Kernel-level stuff is changing too fast to be well documented yet.
Check out the Kernel Hackers Guide

  http://www.redhat.com:8080/HyperNews/get/khg.html

is probably the best place to get started.

Better, get a good Unix programming book.  "The Unix Programming
Environment" by Kernighan and Pike is a classic starting place.

<Joe--
 Joe Smith

 Department of Physiology
 Philadelphia, PA 19104

Linux programming - Help wanted

Post by JL Gom » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Any serious UNIX programmer should have a copy of Stevens'
"UNIX Network Programming".

I've since moved on to Java. :)

Post by Frank van de P » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 >  I think you'll find that "low level coding" has a very different
 >  meaning under Unix (and Linux) than for DOS.  Only device drivers go
 >  straight to the hardware and then only under strict rules to maintain
 >  system integrity.

 >  Everything has a defined programming interface, which you do NOT want
 >  to avoid.

Correct, that is the way it should be, but it is also possible to mess
directly with the hardware. See the ioperm() function. I use it for driving
my Maynard QIC tapestreamer from user mode; it is also used by the various
graphics drivers (SVGAlib, XFree86,...).

Frank.

--
#define NAME    "Frank van de Pol"

The gates in my computer are AND,OR and NOT, not Bill