ELF problem on 1.3.x?

Post by Pete.Ch.. » Mon, 07 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Has anyone else had a problem running ELF binaries on recent kernels?
I have been running 1.2.1 for ages, with ELF support working fine.
Then I tried to upgrade to 1.3.9, and any attempt to run an ELF binary
caused a core dump.  Things are still the same in 1.3.15.

BTW, I am compiling ELF support into the kernel rather than building
it as a module (init, the shells and everything are ELF, so I can't
easily run it any other way).

                                     -- anonymous

ELF problem on 1.3.x?

Post by James Brya » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Has anyone else had a problem running ELF binaries on recent kernels?
: I have been running 1.2.1 for ages, with ELF support working fine.
: Then I tried to upgrade to 1.3.9, and any attempt to run an ELF binary
: caused a core dump.  Things are still the same in 1.3.15.

: BTW, I am compiling ELF support into the kernel rather than building
: it as a module (init, the shells and everything are ELF, so I can't
: easily run it any other way).
: --

: -------------------------------------------------------------------------

:                                      -- anonymous

I had the exact same problem, up through kernel version 1.3.13.  I
couldn't figure out what was causing it... Then, I reinstalled the ENTIRE
development tree (gcc, ldd, g++ and libs, etc) and now everything works
fine.  I'm still not sure what was going on... But, any ELF program I
tried to run (which, unfortunately, included bash and most programs ran
by my init :-( ) caused an instant segfault.

James Bryant

ELF problem on 1.3.x?

Post by Erik Cor » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Has anyone else had a problem running ELF binaries on recent kernels?
: I have been running 1.2.1 for ages, with ELF support working fine.
: Then I tried to upgrade to 1.3.9, and any attempt to run an ELF binary
: caused a core dump.  Things are still the same in 1.3.15.

: BTW, I am compiling ELF support into the kernel rather than building
: it as a module (init, the shells and everything are ELF, so I can't
: easily run it any other way).
: --

I'm having this too. I just upgraded from 1.2.9 to 1.2.13.  I'll let
you know if I find out what it is. Luckily I don't have many ELF
binaries yet.

--
You couldn't deny that, even if you tried with both hands. -- The Red Queen
--

ELF problem on 1.3.x?

Post by Piercarlo Gran » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Pete> Has anyone else had a problem running ELF binaries on recent kernels?
Pete> I have been running 1.2.1 for ages, with ELF support working fine.
Pete> Then I tried to upgrade to 1.3.9, and any attempt to run an ELF binary
Pete> caused a core dump.  Things are still the same in 1.3.15.

James> I had the exact same problem, up through kernel version 1.3.13.
James> I couldn't figure out what was causing it... Then, I reinstalled
James> the ENTIRE development tree (gcc, ldd, g++ and libs, etc) and now
James> everything works fine.  I'm still not sure what was going
James> on...

You _must_ be running a recent libc (e.g. libc 5.1.2) and a recent ld.so
(1.7.3 or 1.7.4). The problem is that older releases of libc/ld.so
dereference null pointers (i.e. have bugs) and in recent kernels the
page 0 has actually been setup to cause a trap.

ELF problem on 1.3.x?

Post by Pete Cho » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

A short while ago I asked for help with getting ELF to work on the 1.3
series kernels.  Several people replied by mail -- many thanks, and I
have now got ELF working again.  In case anyone else is having the
same problem, the solution is quite easy.  Just upgrade ld.so to the
latest version (1.7.3) and everything starts working again.

                                     -- anonymous

1. 1.3.x && ELF compile problems

ive tried the ELF patch that was posted to this newsgroup, and the
1.3.3 patch, but still cant get it to compile, using GCC 2.6.3.
It keeps failing on kernel.o and others at what appears to be the
linking stage.

Does anyone know if theres a full 100% working patch out there yet?

--
"Takes you back, doesnt it?" - D.G. - Pulse

2. gcc installation problem

3. ELF + 1.3.x kernel -> kernel header can't be identified

4. Accept from multiple hosts using ipchains

5. 1.3.3X and ELF modules

6. I Need Modem Help.

7. Linux 1.2.1 -> 1.3 ELF

8. How to change BIOS setting from ATA66 to ATA33

9. Where is kernel 1.3.x for ELF

10. BUGFIX: Linux 1.3.x with ELF!

11. COMPILING a 1.3.X kernel with Slackware ELF Dist.

12. 3c509 and 1.3.6x/1.3.7x

13. Diff. between SunOS4.1.3_U1 and SunOS4.1.3_U1 VB