Bash compile errors please help

Bash compile errors please help

Post by rajendra3.. » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00



I have downloaded bash-2.03 archieve from ftp site. I unpacked it on
the machine running Redhat 6.1. The configured it with './configure --
enable-static-link' command. When I tried to generate the executable
file by issuing make command it did not complie. Following message was
given:
# make
/bin/sh ./support/mkversion.sh -b -s release -d 2.03 -p 0 -o
newversion.h \
&& mv newversion.h version.h
***********************************************************
* *
* Making Bash-2.03.0-release for a i686 running linux-gnu
* *
***********************************************************
rm -f shell.o
gcc -DPROGRAM='"bash"' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='"i686"' -DCONF_OSTYPE='"linux-
gnu"' -DC
ONF_MACHTYPE='"i686-pc-linux-gnu"' -DCONF_VENDOR='"pc"' -DSHELL -
DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I. -I. -I./lib -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -
c shell.c
In file included from shell.h:37,
from shell.c:53:
externs.h:131: conflicting types for `strncasecmp'
/usr/include/string.h:266: previous declaration of `strncasecmp'
externs.h:138: conflicting types for `gethostname'
/usr/include/unistd.h:733: previous declaration of `gethostname'
externs.h:146: conflicting types for `setlinebuf'
/usr/include/stdio.h:242: previous declaration of `setlinebuf'
make: *** [shell.o] Error 1
Then I transferred the archive on another machine running RedHat 6.0
where I followed the same sequence and it compiled without any trouble.
I want to compile it on the machine running redhat 6.1.
What is wrong? Both machines have gcc 2.91.66.
Rajendra Jadhao

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Bash compile errors please help

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00


[Note: this is not really a c.o.l.d.system matter.]

Quote:> I have downloaded bash-2.03 archieve from ftp site. I unpacked it on
> the machine running Redhat 6.1. The configured it with './configure --
> enable-static-link' command.
 [...]
> In file included from shell.h:37,
> from shell.c:53:
> externs.h:131: conflicting types for `strncasecmp'
> /usr/include/string.h:266: previous declaration of `strncasecmp'
> externs.h:138: conflicting types for `gethostname'
> /usr/include/unistd.h:733: previous declaration of `gethostname'
> externs.h:146: conflicting types for `setlinebuf'
> /usr/include/stdio.h:242: previous declaration of `setlinebuf'
> make: *** [shell.o] Error 1
> Then I transferred the archive on another machine running RedHat 6.0
> where I followed the same sequence and it compiled without any trouble.
> I want to compile it on the machine running redhat 6.1.
> What is wrong? Both machines have gcc 2.91.66.

I believe that RH6.0 and RH6.1 use different versions of the C library
(glibc).  The newer version probably has corrections that the bash source
code doesn't know about.  (If you read C, take a look at the referenced
lines.)

I don't know why the bash source code needs to have its own function
prototypes, but perhaps it is for compatibility with old, wacky systems.
In any case, there is a recent bash-2.04 that may compile more cleanly with
current glibcs.

--


 
 
 

Bash compile errors please help

Post by rajendra3.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00


Downloaded the bash 2.04 archieve, unpacked and configured using
configure --enable-static-link.
It gives the same errors.
If this is not really a c.o.l.d. matter kindly redirect me to the
correct forum
Thanks in advance.
R.O.Jadhao




> [Note: this is not really a c.o.l.d.system matter.]

> > I have downloaded bash-2.03 archieve from ftp site. I unpacked it on
> > the machine running Redhat 6.1. The configured it

with './configure --

> > enable-static-link' command.
> [...]
> > In file included from shell.h:37,
> > from shell.c:53:
> > externs.h:131: conflicting types for `strncasecmp'
> > /usr/include/string.h:266: previous declaration of `strncasecmp'
> > externs.h:138: conflicting types for `gethostname'
> > /usr/include/unistd.h:733: previous declaration of `gethostname'
> > externs.h:146: conflicting types for `setlinebuf'
> > /usr/include/stdio.h:242: previous declaration of `setlinebuf'
> > make: *** [shell.o] Error 1
> > Then I transferred the archive on another machine running RedHat 6.0
> > where I followed the same sequence and it compiled without any
trouble.
> > I want to compile it on the machine running redhat 6.1.
> > What is wrong? Both machines have gcc 2.91.66.

> I believe that RH6.0 and RH6.1 use different versions of the C library
> (glibc). The newer version probably has corrections that the bash
source
> code doesn't know about. (If you read C, take a look at the referenced
> lines.)

> I don't know why the bash source code needs to have its own function
> prototypes, but perhaps it is for compatibility with old, wacky
systems.
> In any case, there is a recent bash-2.04 that may compile more
cleanly with
> current glibcs.

> --


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH BASH

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--


------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. Help: Using Volume Manager?

3. Bashing bash (Was Re: bash or user error with set -e and subshells)

4. mbufs vs skbuff

5. gcc compile error, please help

6. Fortran g77, Linux and you?

7. Trying to compile xwhom on Solaris and getting errors - please help

8. Apache and Netscape webserver problem

9. Please help me solve thie error (while compile)

10. help please: compiling kernel 2.2.6 error.

11. Errors compiling portmap - please help

12. newbie q:QT compile error - please help!!

13. Please Help: Compiling error with OBST