Linux with HP Laserjet III

Post by Nick Cassavaugh UU » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

I only saw the WINE faq in the faq newsgroup so I will ask here.

When I print to my HP laserjet III using lp (printing a standard text file)
I get about 1 or two lines from the first page and then pages of blank paper.
Do I need a special printer driver for linux?

We don't run printers on our unix boxes here, so I have no clue what to do. . .
--

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~ndc7137
Helpdesk staff - University of Utah Computer Center

Linux with HP Laserjet III

Post by Steve Durb » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>When I print to my HP laserjet III using lp (printing a standard text file)
>I get about 1 or two lines from the first page and then pages of blank paper.
>Do I need a special printer driver for linux?

The problem is that Linux is printing only LF instead of the CR/LF pair
that the HP is expecting for end of line. If you try printing a few
single character lines you'll see them stair stepping down the page.

You can either reconfigure the HPIII to accept LF as end of line (ISTR
it's a menu option on that one but it's years since I've seen one) or
build a filter into printcap. There are several methods - mine is a
little C program that I put in as the if= parameter.

--
Steve Durbin | Look! Minimalism comes to ASCII art!
(at work)    |                                                .

Linux with HP Laserjet III

Post by H. Peter Anv » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

>>When I print to my HP laserjet III using lp (printing a standard text file)
>>I get about 1 or two lines from the first page and then pages of blank paper.
>>Do I need a special printer driver for linux?

>The problem is that Linux is printing only LF instead of the CR/LF pair
>that the HP is expecting for end of line. If you try printing a few
>single character lines you'll see them stair stepping down the page.

>You can either reconfigure the HPIII to accept LF as end of line (ISTR
>it's a menu option on that one but it's years since I've seen one) or
>build a filter into printcap. There are several methods - mine is a
>little C program that I put in as the if= parameter.

Get "magicfilter" from sunsite.

        -hpa

Linux with HP Laserjet III

Post by Rube Goldbe » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

 > :
 >>
 >>>When I print to my HP laserjet III using lp (printing a standard text file)
 >>>I get about 1 or two lines from the first page and then pages of blank paper.
 >>>Do I need a special printer driver for linux?
 >>
 >>The problem is that Linux is printing only LF instead of the CR/LF pair
 >>that the HP is expecting for end of line. If you try printing a few
 >>single character lines you'll see them stair stepping down the page.
 >>
 >>You can either reconfigure the HPIII to accept LF as end of line (ISTR
 >>it's a menu option on that one but it's years since I've seen one) or
 >>build a filter into printcap. There are several methods - mine is a
 >>little C program that I put in as the if= parameter.
 >>
 >
 >Get "magicfilter" from sunsite.

        That's all too much work. Write your own filter:

        #!/usr/bin/awk -f
        { printf "%s\r\n",$0 }

        to kick out the last line if you need a ff, add this to the
        printcap

        :tr=\f:

        or

        :tr=\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\
            \r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\
                \r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r\r:

--

        Steinberger:
State of the Instrument

1. HP JetDirect (HP LaserJet III) and Linux

I have an old HP LaserJet III which has a JetDirect card installed,
this used to be connected to a Novell 3.12 network. As I understand
the card itself searches for a Novell server and appropriate print
queue. Is it possible to connect this to a Linux box and have it act
as the print server?

Regards,
Jason.

***************
Jason Arthurs ********************************
Bangor        * Think like a man of action,  *
Gwynedd       * Act like a man of thought... *
North Wales   ********************************
***************

2. Radius hack

3. Linux and the HP Laserjet III (P)

4. announce May specials

5. Printer HP Laserjet III under LINUX possible???

6. Watchdog drivers

7. Linux printer driver for HP laserjet III in PCL

8. changing network after boot

9. HP Laserjet III -> Linux Red Hat 5.0 installation...

10. HP Laserjet III and Mandrake ..

11. HP Laserjet III Ascii on Solaris

12. HP Laserjet III printing problem

13. Printcap For HP LaserJet III