Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by hsea.. » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:29:31



  Has anyone actually got the install disks to work for slackware-current? I've
tried re-doing them several times, tried them on two different machines and
with two different bootdisks (bare and lowmem) and they always do the same
thing -- boodisk works okay, install  #1 works fine (AFAIK), but then #2, #3, &
#4 just wizz by far too fast to really be loading anything, then #5 crashes
with a kernel panic.
 I tried writing slackware support awhile back but got no response.

--
Harmon Seaver  
*Shamanix
http://www.*shamanix.com

 
 
 

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by Wild Wizar » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:03:58



>   Has anyone actually got the install disks to work for slackware-current?
>   I've
> tried re-doing them several times, tried them on two different machines
> and with two different bootdisks (bare and lowmem) and they always do the
> same
> thing -- boodisk works okay, install  #1 works fine (AFAIK), but then #2,
> #3, &
> #4 just wizz by far too fast to really be loading anything, then #5
> #crashes
> with a kernel panic.
>  I tried writing slackware support awhile back but got no response.

please read the file RELEASE_NOTES in the slackware-current directory for
information on this KNOWN issue

--
get your slack here
http://wildwizard.kicks-ass.org/slackware/mirrors.php

 
 
 

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by hsea.. » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:19:42




>>   Has anyone actually got the install disks to work for slackware-current?
>>   I've
>> tried re-doing them several times, tried them on two different machines
>> and with two different bootdisks (bare and lowmem) and they always do the
>> same
>> thing -- boodisk works okay, install  #1 works fine (AFAIK), but then #2,
>> #3, &
>> #4 just wizz by far too fast to really be loading anything, then #5
>> #crashes
>> with a kernel panic.
>>  I tried writing slackware support awhile back but got no response.

> please read the file RELEASE_NOTES in the slackware-current directory for
> information on this KNOWN issue

    Okay, I tried using the 8.1 boot disk (bare.i) and the 8.1 network disk.
and that did get all the disks loaded. Thanks. However, the install still
doesn't work. It works quite well, including mounting the nfs partition,
formatting the drive, etc. Then when it comes time to select the software, it
doesn't do anything if I choose "menu" or "expert", no menus show up, it just
starts supposedly loading software, but finishes that in less than two minutes,
then configures it in about 5 seconds and tells me to reboot my new
installation.
   I tried installing 8.1 as well, and the exact same thing happens. NFS works,
it works from that server for other machines fine, and slack says it's mounted.
I also can mount the nfs partition manually from the floppy boot prompt and
copy the files to the harddrive. In fact now I've copied the entire current
install tree to one partition on the drive and will try installing from there
next.
   Pretty weird.

--
Harmon Seaver  
*Shamanix
http://www.*shamanix.com

 
 
 

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by hsea.. » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:40:47



Quote:>>     But I can't say I'm overly impressed thus far with slackware's install.
>> I decided to install 8.1 instead, got the disks all working with it, every
>> thing seems to go great right up until it's time to select the software,
>> then it claims it's installing the software (which it really didn't give
>> me a chance to choose, other than the basic first menu) and configuring,
>> which goes by *really* fast, and says to reboot, which I do -- but it
>> doesn't boot, nothing on the HD as far as I can see.
> Erm.. Let's walk through this...
> You've booted and rooted with the floppy disks.

 Yes

Quote:> You have the CDROM of software in the CDROM drive.

   No, this is an NFS install. And the nfs server works fine, other machines
have no problem with it, and the slackware install says it mounts okay. In
fact, after the last install failure, I mounted the nfs partition again
manually and copied files to the hardrive. So that should be the problem.

Quote:> Your partition is setup correctly and has enough space.

   Oh yes, 6 gigs. And the formatting, etc. works fine.

Quote:> You go through the setup menu item by item,
> setup swap, select partition for install, etc.

   Yes

Quote:> Then you tell it to install the software you've selected.

   Well, that is where the problem starts. The menu asks me whether I want
to do a "full" "menu" "expert" etc. and so I first was trying to do expert,
then menu, then just tried full. Doesn't matter what I choose, no menus come
up, it just starts copying software (supposedly) but it all goes by in
less than two minutes. Then a flurry of text stuff I can't read which
supposedly is the "config" and then it tells me it's done and to reboot
my new install.

  I should say I'm hardly a novice, been running *nix of various flavors for
over 13 years. This looks to me to be a pretty flaky install. Next I'm going to
try installing from a partition on the drive, I had no problem mounting the nfs
partition with the install tree manually from the floppy boot prompt and
copying it all over to the drive. But at this point I'm almost betting that it
will do the same old thing.
  I also tried it with the slackware-current tree today, did the same thing.

--
Harmon Seaver  
*Shamanix
http://www.*shamanix.com

 
 
 

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by Jack Strang » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:29:18



> > Then you tell it to install the software you've selected.

>    Well, that is where the problem starts. The menu asks me whether I want
> to do a "full" "menu" "expert" etc. and so I first was trying to do expert,
> then menu, then just tried full. Doesn't matter what I choose, no menus come
> up, it just starts copying software (supposedly) but it all goes by in
> less than two minutes. Then a flurry of text stuff I can't read which
> supposedly is the "config" and then it tells me it's done and to reboot
> my new install.

>   I should say I'm hardly a novice, been running *nix of various flavors for
> over 13 years. This looks to me to be a pretty flaky install. Next I'm going to
> try installing from a partition on the drive, I had no problem mounting the nfs
> partition with the install tree manually from the floppy boot prompt and
> copying it all over to the drive. But at this point I'm almost betting that it
> will do the same old thing.
>   I also tried it with the slackware-current tree today, did the same thing.

Most strange. It sounds like to me like the install scripts can't find the
files either where they think they will be or that the naming of the
subdirectories is not quite what the install scripts are looking for.
eg 'slackware' instead of 'slakware' or some such difference.

what happens if you redirect the errors to a log file?

Jack
--

Vlad, Heisenberg and Thomas - The originators of FUD


 
 
 

Slackware-Current install disks don't work

Post by hsea.. » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:30:43


    So I tried installing from the install tree on a partion on the same drive
tonight -- same thing. Poking around a bit, I tried to go to /var/log/packages
where I should be able to see which packages it thinks it installed. Couldn't
cd into that dir tho -- and doing an ls -al I see it's only a link. Saw several
other dir links there as well, couldn't cd into any of them. Maybe that's the
problem, a bug in the floppy install that doesn't work except with the cdrom
install.
    I suppose next I could try copying the iso and mounting it as a loopback
device.



>> > Then you tell it to install the software you've selected.

>>    Well, that is where the problem starts. The menu asks me whether I want
>> to do a "full" "menu" "expert" etc. and so I first was trying to do expert,
>> then menu, then just tried full. Doesn't matter what I choose, no menus come
>> up, it just starts copying software (supposedly) but it all goes by in
>> less than two minutes. Then a flurry of text stuff I can't read which
>> supposedly is the "config" and then it tells me it's done and to reboot
>> my new install.

>>   I should say I'm hardly a novice, been running *nix of various flavors for
>> over 13 years. This looks to me to be a pretty flaky install. Next I'm going to
>> try installing from a partition on the drive, I had no problem mounting the nfs
>> partition with the install tree manually from the floppy boot prompt and
>> copying it all over to the drive. But at this point I'm almost betting that it
>> will do the same old thing.
>>   I also tried it with the slackware-current tree today, did the same thing.
> Most strange. It sounds like to me like the install scripts can't find the
> files either where they think they will be or that the naming of the
> subdirectories is not quite what the install scripts are looking for.
> eg 'slackware' instead of 'slakware' or some such difference.
> what happens if you redirect the errors to a log file?
> Jack
> --
> Vlad, Heisenberg and Thomas - The originators of FUD


--
Harmon Seaver  
*Shamanix
http://www.*shamanix.com
 
 
 

1. Slackware-Current install disks don't work

     Has anyone actually got the install disks to work for slackware-current?
I've tried re-doing them several times, tried them on two different machines
and with two different bootdisks (bare and lowmem) and they always do the same
thing -- boodisk works okay, install  #1 works fine (AFAIK), but then #2, #3, &
#4 just wizz by far too fast to really be loading anything, then #5 crashes
with a kernel panic.
    I wrote slackware support awhile back but got no response

--
Harmon Seaver  
CyberShamanix
http://www.cybershamanix.com

2. Need help with custom Sendmail config

3. slackware 3.4's boot disks don't work on compaqs?

4. nis plus problem

5. NTFS/HPFS install bug not fixed yet...updated install disks still don't work:-(

6. Reading motherboard temperature sensors in OpenBSD

7. Warning: Don't install Slackware '96 TeX !!

8. Help on booting a SPARC20

9. I install linux, but adduser don't work and can't find setup

10. slackware/smail/uucp don't work!

11. slackware 3.0 man pages don't work

12. Dip script in Slackware 2.20 (linux 1.2.5) don't work any more

13. MAN pages still don't work in Linux Slackware v.3.0