Q: poll.h and poll()

Post by Mike Peterso » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Do plans exist to support poll() on Linux?  I'm in the middle of porting OSF's
Open Development Environment to Linux and poll() seems to be required.

Regards,

/mtp

Q: poll.h and poll()

Post by Mikhail Estr » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Do plans exist to support poll() on Linux?  I'm in the middle of porting OSF's
: Open Development Environment to Linux and poll() seems to be required.

: Regards,

: /mtp

poll() is based on STREAMS. See LiS (SVR4 STREAMS for Linux) project page at

Also, I don't now if select() might be a suitable replacement for what you
need.

--
ME - "I know these are the badlands, somehow I'll find my way..."

Q: poll.h and poll()

Post by Markus Gutsch » Wed, 21 Jun 1995 04:00:00

   Do plans exist to support poll() on Linux?  I'm in the middle of porting OSF's
   Open Development Environment to Linux and poll() seems to be required.

   Regards,

   /mtp

Under Linux you usually use select() instead of poll(), although it
should not be too hard to write a wrapper for select() that looks like
poll(); possibly there is even a compile time option for the software
that you try to port which choses between using either poll() or
select().  C.f. the manual page of select() for further information.

Happy Coding

Markus

1. poll/select in udprelay - anyone have poll.c(h) code for linux?

Gee, two years go by and I'm in the same situation as this guy.

 Does anyone out there have this code? I have udprelay and need the
poll.c poll.h
code as descibed in this old post.

 Any help will be greatly appreciated.

 I am also surprised that udprelay and redir are not on sunsite. I have
redir (tcp) working
on my system. but I really want to get udprelay working too.

 Why not build this code into IPMASQ???

 TIA

[ patch omitted ]

Alternatively, you can write a version of poll() in terms of select(2)
(which is what I did, since I didn't feel like hacking up udprelay
source).
If you'd rather use that approach, send me mail, and I'll send you my
poll.[ch] files. We're currently using udprelay on a BSDI system, and
the
emulated poll() function works just fine.

Telebase Systems, Inc., 435 Devon Park Drive, Wayne, PA 19087

--
* --------------------------------------------------- *

*                  http://www.mygen.com
* P.O. Box 7167 , Tahoe City Ca. 96145
* --------------------------------------------------- *

2. Newbie; Install question

3. hylafax, poll sending, poll server

4. sbrk(0) on Linux?

5. What are the Disadvantages of poll, /dev/poll

6. Apache won't start on RH6.2

7. To POLL or Not To POLL the mouse

8. Free Solaris 7 CD

9. My Freebsd driver hangs in poll function after some time (problem with poll)

10. poll.h file and poll function

11. poll.h file and poll function not found

12. POLL RESULTS, PART 0/7

13. polling for a file existance