kernel debugging a hung process

Post by umang kuma » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 05:13:18

Hi
What are good kernel debugging tools esp for debugging live[and possibly hung :)] processes?
I have heard of the standard kdb but I do not have it on my RH distro tho' I have modutils installed [ok ..I can install it later..].

I tried gdb's attach feature to attach to a process that is hung in the kernel and gdb got hung too..

I was looking for something like adb/mdb on Solaris where I can use something like the
'threadlist' macro etc.

Thanks

Post by Art Reism » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:44:42

> Hi
> What are good kernel debugging tools esp for debugging live[and possibly hung :)] processes?
> I have heard of the standard kdb but I do not have it on my RH distro tho' I have modutils installed [ok ..I can install it later..].

> I tried gdb's attach feature to attach to a process that is hung in the kernel and gdb got hung too..

> I was looking for something like adb/mdb on Solaris where I can use something like the
> 'threadlist' macro etc.

> Thanks

I am also having serious problems finding good information on how to
use any debugging tools in the kernel. I am surprised as I assumed
with all the open kernel development going on in Linux there would be
lots of knowledge out there, but it seems pretty sparse, please e-mail
if you find useful information, also I would like to know if you can
drop into kdb on a panic automatically, this is exactly what I need.

thanks
Art Reisman

www.apconnections.net

kernel debugging a hung process

Post by Alexander Sirotki » Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:02:33

There are kdb and kgdb. Google for documentation.
The reason kernel de*s are not heavily used is that
Linus hates them :) Maybe he's right...

> Hi
> What are good kernel debugging tools esp for debugging live[and possibly hung :)] processes?
> I have heard of the standard kdb but I do not have it on my RH distro tho' I have modutils installed [ok ..I can install it later..].

> I tried gdb's attach feature to attach to a process that is hung in the kernel and gdb got hung too..

> I was looking for something like adb/mdb on Solaris where I can use something like the
> 'threadlist' macro etc.

> Thanks

1. How to debug: new HD causes kernel to hang?

Whenever put a Quantum Fireball Plus KA 13.6gig HD into my
machine the kernel hangs on boot.  The kernel is 2.2.13,
Macmillian (Mandrake/Redhat) 6.5.  It hangs right after it
probes the controller hardware, but before it displys any
partition information.

I'd like to work through and debug the code, but I don't
know where to begin.  Can someone help get get me started?
Here's the hardware FWIW:

AMD K6-2 450
BioStar ATX Mother board model M5ALA
128 Megs RAM
2 Quantum HD:
  Master Sirocco 2.5MB
  Slave Fireball Plus KA 13.6gig
Memorex 40X IDE CD-ROM (Master on second cntrlr)
Phillips IDE CD-RW (Slave on second cntrlr)
Kingston EtheRx PCI ethernet card
Video: Riva TNT (PCI)
SoundBlaster 16 (ISA)
SIIG serial port (ISA)

Thanks,
Mark

2. Nomai-drives

3. Need help with system hang (RH5.0/2.0.32) & tips about kernel debugging

4. WAS353,Apache,modssl and modgzip

5. Debugging a kernel hang

6. Linux Tips HOWTO

7. Help debugging Kernel hang during bootup..

8. unrecognized memory by linux

9. Possible bug in arch/i386/kernel/process.c for reloading of debug registers (DRx)?

10. : Kernel debugging (saving debug info)

11. Kernel hangs or oops when I create a few number of processes

12. RH 7.2: Boot process with SMP kernel hung