rebooting linux without physikal reset

Post by Daniel Goerge » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
physical reset?
(I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
the reboot)

rebooting linux without physikal reset

Post by Mike McDona » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> physical reset?
> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
> the reboot)

  You might want to look at two kernel monty at scyld.com.

  Mike McDonald

Post by Karl-Heinz Herrman » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> physical reset?  (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before
> und read it after the reboot)

Since the only 'reboot' (i.e. "shutdown -r now") I know in linux will
start with the boot message of the Graphics card followed by counting
and testing the RAM this is probably not what you want.

And I see no way of doing a real reboot and keeping RAM untouched (How
would you know where you put your data?)

But do you really need a reboot? What would the reboot be for? Maybe a
switching down to single user mode and back up and restarting all
demons and services is enough?

K.-H.

--
-----------------------------------
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

-----------------------------------

Post by Robert Redelmeie » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> physical reset?
> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
> the reboot)

Well, you'd better have that memory real well mapped (ie kernel
locked-down in a device driver).  regular user memory can be
mapped anywhere in physical RAM.

Soft rebooting isn't too tough.  You have to go back to real x86
mode, put the soft-reboot marker in the BIOS data area for it,
then `jmp F000:FFF0` .  You probably cannot just call `int 19h`
in real mode because Linux probably blows the original IDT away.

-- Robert

rebooting linux without physikal reset

Post by Wolfram Fau » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hallo,
I think no. But perhaps ... if you have much time. I think this only
possible if you have really much time and money. Perhaps it's cheaper to
buy a flashdisk or something like that.
Do you what to reset your prozessor or not ??? If yes than you have a
problem to restart it properly because the BIOS will reset you memory (I
think but I don't know it really).

> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> physical reset?
> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
> the reboot)

Perhaps more details would help.

Wolfram

Post by Kasper Dupon » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 01:03:31

> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> physical reset?
> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
> the reboot)

I think, what you want is something like LOADLIN runing
under Linux. I think it would be possible, but I don't
think anyone has made it yet.

--
Kasper Dupont

Post by Philip Armstro » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 02:13:28

>> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
>> physical reset?
>> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
>> the reboot)
>I think, what you want is something like LOADLIN runing
>under Linux. I think it would be possible, but I don't
>think anyone has made it yet.

Its possible that the two-kernel monte available from
http://www.scyld.com/ might do what you want...

Phil

Post by Kasper Dupon » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:02:58

> >> Is it possible to reboot linux without letting the computer make a
> >> physical reset?
> >> (I have to store data in RAM (we have no FS) before und read it after
> >> the reboot)
> >I think, what you want is something like LOADLIN runing
> >under Linux. I think it would be possible, but I don't
> >think anyone has made it yet.

> Its possible that the two-kernel monte available from
> http://www.scyld.com/ might do what you want...

I took a quick look on the source and documentation.
It is exactly what i was looking for, that saved me
the time for writing this myself. :-)

I can see that SCC like me found that some usefull
kernel symbols is not exported. Why does kernel
symbols have to explicitely be exported, wouldn't
it be possible to allow modules to use any symbols
from the kernel?

--
Kasper Dupont

1. resetting video (without rebooting)

Since I've got this fancy video card (and, damn it, bought
X-Inside's Xserver -- the card is not supported by XFree86)
I, occasionally, have to reboot just because the video hangs
on X-server's exit. Machine works -- I can login remotely, etc.
but nothing shows on the screen. Attempts to startx fail as well.
Is there any way, I can (at least, remotely) reset the video
driver? I tried:

        echo q > /dev/ttyv0
        vidcontrol VGA_80x25 < /dev/ttyv0 >& /dev/ttyv0

did not help ;( Anything else? Thanks!

        -mi
--
        "Windows for dummies"

2. ports on -stable question

3. resetting uptime without reboot?

4. Redirecting 'stdout' to another stream in a UNIX C program

5. SB dsp reset without reboot?

6. NCSA compile problem in Linux

7. How can I reset an X.25 card without rebooting?

8. The EITHER/OR SCIENTIST...

9. resetting the serial port without rebooting

10. Can I reset NIC without reboot the server?

11. reset power fail status without rebooting?

12. reset uptime without reboot??

13. how to reset blocked serial line without reboot?