is it true ?

Post by Andrey Koubyche » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 00:22:14

Hello everyone,

Is it true that pthreads on linux uses pipes for communication between main
thread and other threads ?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Koubychev

is it true ?

Post by Norm Dresne » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 02:55:43

Quote:> Hello everyone,

> Is it true that pthreads on linux uses pipes for communication between
main
> thread and other threads ?

    How could that be true when Linux doesn't even have a proper
implementation of pthreads?

        Norm

is it true ?

Post by Roee Friedma » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:21:31

Hello!

This may interest you:
http://www.linux-mag.com/cgi-bin/printer.pl?issue=2001-05&article=com...

Roee

Quote:> Hello everyone,

> Is it true that pthreads on linux uses pipes for communication between
main
> thread and other threads ?

> --
> Best regards,
> Andrey Koubychev

is it true ?

Post by Paul Pluzhniko » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:04:49

> Is it true that pthreads on linux uses pipes for communication between main
> thread and other threads ?

No.

However, it is true that Linux pthreads implementation uses a pipe
for communication between all "user" threads (including the initial
thread) and the (automagically created) manager thread. The latter
is responsible (among other things) for thread creation, signal
propagation, process termination, etc.

Cheers,

1. keypad(win, TRUE) means keypad not TRUE?

: I've got some annoying bug with my application. ALL windows I open have a
: keypad(win, TRUE) command to allow cursor keys. Sometimes, if I type the up
: cursor arrow while the screen is refreshed, I get [ESC]A in the window buffer
: as TWO separate characters instead of one integer (KEY_UP). As [ESC] is define

Curses has a little timing trouble in the ESC sequence detection area.
One is that it does a sleep(1) to see if the next character coming in is
part of the sequence...  sleep(1) might be as little as 1/100 of a second.
The other is that it doesn't properly block if you have another flag set,
the name of which escapes me at the moment, I think nodelay(...,TRUE).

This is usually only a problem across some type of buffered interface, like
TCP, or a compressing modem, possibly a smart serial card with buffers.

SCO had a patch, which really only consisted of lengthening the sleep to 8
seconds, but then your legitimate ESC would take 8 seconds to have an
effect.

Unisys had a replacement libcurses, and I think that SVR4.2 should have the
problem resolved by some different method.

--
---

                - Pope Valley & Napa CA.

2. Linux support/Apple LW360?

3. True Color, is this true?

4. Numlock on at boot time...

5. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

6. Auto Login to X for some users only.

7. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

8. Wallpaper

9. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

10. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

12. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...