Dynamically assigned major device numbers

Dynamically assigned major device numbers

Post by Jens.Toerr.. » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:53:52

Hello,

  does someone know in which kernel version dynamically assigned
major device numbers where introduced? I probably don't need the
exact kernel version unless it was introduced in one of the stable
series, otherwise 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 would be good enough.

                                       Thanks, Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

  _  | |  | |    | |          AG Moebius, Institut fuer Molekuelphysik
 | |_| |  | |    | |          Fachbereich Physik, Freie Universitaet Berlin
  \___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring   Tel: ++49 (0)30 838 - 53394 / FAX: - 56046

Dynamically assigned major device numbers

Post by Denis Perelyubski » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:09:15

 * [02-Sun-02 06:53 -0800]:

 > Hello,

 >   does someone know in which kernel version dynamically assigned
 > major device numbers where introduced? I probably don't need the
 > exact kernel version unless it was introduced in one of the stable
 > series, otherwise 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 would be good enough.

If nobody else answers, I seem to remember this being
brought up in the "Linux Device Drivers" book. You can look
at it free on oreilly's website. Sorry, don't remember the
exact place in the book.

denis

--
if you want to reply by mail, please tweak my
address in a reasonable way. sorry for the

Post by Jens.Toerr.. » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:46:23

> >   does someone know in which kernel version dynamically assigned
> > major device numbers where introduced? I probably don't need the
> > exact kernel version unless it was introduced in one of the stable
> > series, otherwise 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 would be good enough.
> If nobody else answers, I seem to remember this being
> brought up in the "Linux Device Drivers" book. You can look
> at it free on oreilly's website. Sorry, don't remember the
> exact place in the book.

That's where I learned about it. Unfortunately, I didn't see the
information when it was introduced but I will again have a look.
As far as I remember it wasn't in the first edition of Rubinis
book but only in the second so I guess it's only in the 2.4 kernels
(or started sometime in the 2.3 series).
                                             Thanks, Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

Post by Norm Dresne » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 06:15:16

> > >   does someone know in which kernel version dynamically assigned
> > > major device numbers where introduced? I probably don't need the
> > > exact kernel version unless it was introduced in one of the stable
> > > series, otherwise 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 would be good enough.

> > If nobody else answers, I seem to remember this being
> > brought up in the "Linux Device Drivers" book. You can look
> > at it free on oreilly's website. Sorry, don't remember the
> > exact place in the book.

> That's where I learned about it. Unfortunately, I didn't see the
> information when it was introduced but I will again have a look.
> As far as I remember it wasn't in the first edition of Rubinis
> book but only in the second so I guess it's only in the 2.4 kernels
> (or started sometime in the 2.3 series).
>                                              Thanks, Jens
> --

    I've been using it since 2.0.xx

            Norm

1. How do I assign major and minor numbers to devices???

Howdy

When trying to mount one of my partitions on my drive, I get the
response "wrong major or minor number".  I can mount all other
partitions/devices/block devices, so it's just this one. The device with
the screwed up numbers is a "vfat" partition.

My question... How do I find out the correct numbers to assign to the
particular device (in this case /dev/hdb14)  I couldn't find anything in
the kernel documentation.

Distro: RH 6.2
Kernel: 2.2.16

Thanks

--
greg ::

2. playing .au file in Mosaic

3. Handling Dynamically Assigned IP Numbers?

4. Linux fs from DOS

5. Where do major number get assigned

6. PRIME strange crash...help??

7. how /dev/stN numbers are assigned to tape devices?

8. Experiences with CD-RW Ricoh 7040S?

9. Major/minor device numbers

10. SVM mirror not working , illegal major device number...

11. Slip device major/minor number?

12. HPUX convert major/minor numbers to device name

13. kerneld and dynamic major device numbers?