kernel error "probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a"

kernel error "probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a"

Post by Professor Bru » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:47:58

Greetings,

Another message which shows up in my /var/log/message file:
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a.
Jul 29 17:28:44 brama kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration.

I was backing up content to tape using the following command when it happened:
tar xvf /dev/nht0 largeamounts of content

Any guidance or remedies in correcting this would be appreciated.

I am running the latest kernel available to RH6.2:
2.2.19-6.2.7smp

The system consists of 2 800 Mhz PIII's, 2 20GB HDs (not running RAID with most
content and user partitions on one disk; /var, /usr on the other) 512MB RAM.

Max Pyziur

1. probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost"

Hi all,

this is my first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong ng.

I've been having problems installing Linux on my system. Specifically, I get a
kernel message about once a second or so to the effect that there is a
"probable hardware bug: clock timer configuration lost - probably a VIA686a
motherboard. kernel: probable hardware bug: restoring chip configuration."

I've searched the net for days and found nothing other than that it's
supposedly harmless and affects all kernels from 2.2.19 to 2.4.x. It's also
supposed to be unrelated to actually having a VIA686a chipset (I don't).

Does anyone have any idea what causes it? Is it really a hardware bug or is it
a problem with the kernel? Is there any workaround? On SuSE 7.1 it's annoying
but tolerable, since all kernel messages go to a separate virtual terminal; on
debian 3.0 (testing) it's extremely annoying, since it's broadcast to all
virtual terminals.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Sembera.

2. Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

3. "clock timer configuration lost" error?

4. Routing Through SCO5?

5. 2.4.5-ac13, ASUS A7A266, still "clock timer configuration lost"

6. Proxy Software

7. "clock timer configuration lost" on non-VIA m.b.

8. Linux and ZyXEL Elite 2864 ID

9. probable hardware bug: clock timer ... (Asus board)?!?

10. "probable hardware bug"?

12. 2.2.19/ide.03252001 bug: "kernel timer added twice"