Can't run examples from LKMPG

Post by Markus Thiesmeye » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I wanted to compile and run some examples from the Linux Kernel Module
Programming Guide, version 1.1.0. I'm running the kernel version 2.2.7 from
a SuSE-distribution.
The first problem is, that I can't see the messages, printed by printk().
The second problem is, that I can't use the function put_user(). I can
compile it but it's impossible to load the module.

Can anybody help me?

cu

Markus

Can't run examples from LKMPG

Post by Peter Samuels » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The first problem is, that I can't see the messages, printed by
> printk().

Play with the values in /proc/sys/kernel/printk -- the first number is
the maximum printk level (KERN_* from <linux/kernel.h>) that is printed
on the console.  Or just tail -f the syslog.

Quote:> The second problem is, that I can't use the function put_user(). I
> can compile it but it's impossible to load the module.

#include <asm/uaccess.h>

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

Post by Markus Thiesmeye » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > The second problem is, that I can't use the function put_user(). I
> > can compile it but it's impossible to load the module.

> #include <asm/uaccess.h>

If I don't include it, I get a warning at compile time. That's why I've
already included that line. Compiling isn't the problem. Loading is the
problem.

Markus

--
Markus Thiesmeyer

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Hard Drive Seek Errors

3. Cannot start X with STB velocity 128 AGP video card

4. ??: 'bootpd' and '/etc/bootptab' Examples?

5. Freeware NFS Server for Windows95?

6. 'tr' (OSR 5.0.2) fails example

7. Mklinux DR3 video colors problem

8. Help with good and simple 'iptables' examples...

9. compiling examples from stevens 'advanced programming in unix' book.

10. The 'find' command ... hairy examples wanted.

11. Book's ping example!!; recvfrom() doesn't return ?

12. Q: about 'Unix Programming FAQ => Examples'