Terminals

Post by Timothy K Canfiel » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Are terminals, like ttyp0, managed by the kernel?  Is there a common
device driver which programs like xterm and telnetd use or do they all
have their own?

Thanks

Terminals

Post by Cra » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Are terminals, like ttyp0, managed by the kernel?  Is there a common
> device driver which programs like xterm and telnetd use or do they all
> have their own?

> Thanks

the key you're looking for is the command line interpreter. all
terminals under unix are based on /bin/bash . to answer your question:
the terminals neither do have their own interface nor it's a kernel
function. it's simply a little program called "bash", which is started
in the terminal window.

bye the way - Cray

Terminals

Post by Konrad Mierendorf » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Are terminals, like ttyp0, managed by the kernel?  Is there a common
> device driver which programs like xterm and telnetd use or do they all
> have their own?

> Thanks

All device-files that appear in /dev/ are special files that are used to
access a (hardware) driver in the kernel.
You are running a shell (command line interpreter) on terminals. Most
common on linux systems is bash (GNU Bourne Again SHell) but you can use
whatever you like.

- Konrad Mierendorff

1. bitkeeper cygwin messed up cygwin terminal setting for tcsh, lynx: dumb terminal?

When I downloaded bitkeeper, it installed a stripped-down (no clue whether
it was the most recent) version of cygwin on top of the version I had
already installed.

Since, I get the following error when loading tcsh:

<<tcsh: No entry for terminal type "cygwin"

tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.>>

or lynx no longer runs and says:

<<Error opening terminal: cygwin.>>

Re-installing cygwin's tcsh wouldn't fix it.

Any hints?

2. fvwm2's FvwmEvent dumping cores. . .

3. Terminal Emulators/ Virtual Terminals

4. Limiting access from NIS users

5. I have problems with digiboards setup for terminal use with dec (xon/xoff) terminals

6. network problem

7. How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?

8. Context Handling

9. Terminals/terminal server

10. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal

11. Terminal hangs when connecting from terminal server

12. Remote X terminal... won't use the terminals hardware

13. How do I write to the terminal of another process at another terminal?