Virtual/software UART?

Post by SLee0 » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:47:39

I am developing a 'virtual/software' UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver
Transmitter).
That is, using software to simulate the RS232 Serial port (COM0, COM1, COM2
etc.).
Instead of writing a byte to a hardware register and letting the hardware UART
( like an 8250 or
16550) shift the bits out, I will be doing the shifting in software,
writing/reading only to
a generic GPIO pin (as in an Intel Northbridge chipset) or to one pin of the
parallel port.

Has anyone developed something like this for Linux/UNIX before?

In a related question, Does anyone have sample code of a Linux kernal module
writing to the
8254 timer chip on a typical PC?

Thanks and best regards.

Sang

Virtual/software UART?

Post by Kasper Dupon » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:47:41

[...]

> In a related question, Does anyone have sample code of a Linux kernal module
> writing to the
> 8254 timer chip on a typical PC?

> Thanks and best regards.

> Sang

How about linux/drivers/char/serial.c

--
Kasper Dupont

Virtual/software UART?

Post by Jonathan Lundel » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:21:34

> [...]

> > In a related question, Does anyone have sample code of a Linux kernal module
> > writing to the
> > 8254 timer chip on a typical PC?

> > Thanks and best regards.

> > Sang

> How about linux/drivers/char/serial.c

It's there somewhere (in the kernel, that is). Grep for 82[cC]?5[34] and
you'll find it.

--
/Jonathan Lundell.

1. Virtual/Software UART?

I am developing a 'virtual/software' UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver
Transmitter).
That is, using software to simulate the RS232 Serial port (COM0, COM1, COM2
etc.).
Instead of writing a byte to a hardware register and letting the hardware UART
( like an 8250 or
16550) shift the bits out, I will be doing the shifting in software,
writing/reading only to
a generic GPIO pin (as in an Intel Northbridge chipset) or to one pin of the
parallel port.

Has anyone developed something like this for Linux/UNIX before?

In a related question, Does anyone have sample code of a Linux kernal module
writing to the
8254 timer chip on a typical PC?

Thanks and best regards.

Sang

2. Finding Linux Drivers for Token Ring

3. Virtual/Software UART

4. Disk Monitoring

5. a.out when compiling

6. Virtual/software UART?

7. Q: Sysinfo for Linux

8. 16550 Uarts vs 16650 Uarts!

9. Is my modem UART 16450 or UART 16550 ?

10. Virtual Server Systems software

11. Virtual Host Management Software