Blowfish for linux

Post by Ingo Rohlof » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I think I reinvented the wheel... But who cares :-)

I wrote some patches to add BLOWFISH support to the
loop devices of the linux kernel.
(BLOWFISH is a fast encryption algorithm in the public domain, invented
by Bruce Schneier. It should be quite secure and definitely
faster than DES or IDEA)

The patch-set applies to a standard linux-2.1.121 kernel
(which means it doesn't use the modularized version of loop.c)
and mount-2.7l.

You can find the patches at

http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~rohloff

(If the server isn't down :-)

so long
  Ingo

--
Please remove .PLOPP at end of mail-adress, if you want to reach
me. I'm sorry for that inconvenience, but I'm fed up of spammers.

Blowfish for linux

Post by Hamilton, Robert Brya » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I think I reinvented the wheel... But who cares :-)

>I wrote some patches to add BLOWFISH support to the
>loop devices of the linux kernel.

That's cool.  I added TEA to the loop encryption on my home box,
but didn't release because I don't know the copyright status.
But it's also quite fast and I suppose moderately secure.
Do you (or anyone else?) know if TEA is in the public domain?

Blowfish for linux

Post by Henrik Theili » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: I wrote some patches to add BLOWFISH support to the
: loop devices of the linux kernel.
: (BLOWFISH is a fast encryption algorithm in the public domain, invented
: by Bruce Schneier. It should be quite secure and definitely
: faster than DES or IDEA)

Blowfish support for the kernel...

Cool! I did the same thing.  Although it's for the 2.0.35
kernel.  My Blowfish makes the loop device completely modulazied
and has patches for mount, too.

http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~theiling/pub/private/crypto/

**Henner

Blowfish for linux

Post by Uri Blumentha » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Why would people bother with 64-bit blocksize Blowfish, when
there is 128-bit blocksize Twofish algorithm released by the
same author?  Especially since it has a chance to become AES,
i.e. the *official standard*?

Plus, I heard Twofish is supposed to perform better...
--
Regards,
Uri

Blowfish for linux

Post by Dana Goul » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Why would people bother with 64-bit blocksize Blowfish, when
> there is 128-bit blocksize Twofish algorithm released by the
> same author?  Especially since it has a chance to become AES,
> i.e. the *official standard*?

Practice?

1. blowfish applications in C and perl Crypt::Blowfish(_PP)

i've written two separate programs to encrypt/decrypt some simple
text (being a novice in c programming, and trying to learn)
both examples work on the encryption they produce
(encrypting to something that seems like garbage to the eye,
yet then taking the same key, and reversing the blowfish,
they produce the original text...
but when I try to intermingle c/perl (perhaps to write a program in each to
encrypt/decrypt)
I cannot reverse the encryption.
i read the manpage for blowfish, and then used as suggested the
EVP_EncryptUpdate
and EVP_DecryptUpdate.
and the perl is much more fluid to me, so I think that i have that much
under control.

if anyone has a working small example in c that decrypts something encrypted
by either
Crypt::Blowfish or Crypt::Blowfish_PP
i'd appreciate it so that I could be able to figure out where i goofed up
if it's something i didn't code right.

2. US Robotics ISDN SPortster

3. Suggestions 2: encrypt and blowfish.

4. Errors compiling kernel 2.0.27

5. md5 and blowfish crypt()

6. run a job on both processors of a bi-processor xeon

7. Blowfish and/or MD5 passwd hashing?

8. X or Motif graphics terminal emulations for RS/6000

9. Recommendation for Blowfish decryptor

10. Blowfish?

11. blowfish

12. Why puffer fish (blowfish) for mascot ?

13. Compile of blowfish failing.