> I have some problems running XFree86 3.1.1 on different kernel
> and see how it behaves ... but perhaps anyone out there already knows
> what the problem is ...
because of the used method. I wrote a little program to see how
much memory is availible on my system - actually I have 16 MB of
main memory and 64 MB of swap memory. This little program allocates
16 MB junks. If the returned pointer is non-zero it tries again.
After I started the program 32 times the programs said after some
time to have each about 3x.xxx.xxx MB ! Then I tried to start X.
After some minutes the Xserver came up ... but the window manager
couldn't be startet because the x-server was killed before ...
I used this test together with the 1.1.89 kernel. I'll rewrite
my malloc-test program to "dirty" the allocated memory at random
and then I'll gonna test it with the kernels 1.1.89, 1.2.0 and
perhaps try 1.2.1 ... and I'll post the program and the result.
Pilotystr. 20 * D-90408 Nuernberg * Germany
Voice: (+49-(0)911-) 35 50 49 * Data/Fax: 365 88 47