Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

Are LINUX-FT fixes folded into Linux/GNU to gcc ?

Post by David Fenye » Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I've been bitten by namespace problems with GCC (core dumps on code
that compiled fine under Solaris, until I changed a variable named
"time")

I'm curious whether the gcc modifications that the Linux-FT people
made to bring GCC and the GNU/Linux library into POSIX compliance have
been folded into current or future releases of the compiler and
library.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

David.

--
David Fenyes                               University of Texas Medical School

Post by Ruediger Hels » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

|> Hello,
|>
|> I've been bitten by namespace problems with GCC (core dumps on code
|> that compiled fine under Solaris, until I changed a variable named
|> "time")
|>
|> I'm curious whether the gcc modifications that the Linux-FT people
|> made to bring GCC and the GNU/Linux library into POSIX compliance have
|> been folded into current or future releases of the compiler and
|> library.  Does anyone know anything about this?

We are working with Linus to fold our patches back into the Linux kernel.
Once the standard kernel include files are clean, work can start on
libraries and so on.

Unifix Software GmbH    Tel +49-531-238800      HRB 3607, AG Braunschweig
Bueltenweg 27e          Fax +49-531-338751      Geschaeftsfuehrer:
D-38106 Braunschweig                            Ruediger Helsch
Germany                                         Bernd Huebner

1. GCC question i386-redhat-linux i686-pc-linux-gnu, what's the difference?

This is a newbie question regarding the installation of the gcc
compiler.  The gcc comiplier installed from our Linux distro was
i386-redhat-linux.  I want to upgrade this version of gcc to the
latest release of gcc 2.95.3.  When I don't specify a target during
the configuration of gcc, the target defaults to i686-pc-linux-gnu.
Is it better to use this default value for the new version of the
compiler?  As far as I can tell, there's not a lot of difference
between the two compilers.  The same symbols appear to be defined, and
the code appears to run fine.

  Is there an advantage to specifying the target as an
i386-redhat-linux compiler?

2. TERM and OS/2

3. I am in love with GNU, Linux, Gnome, opensource, and all of it.

4. PCA70SB soundcard only play 8 bits

5. install Linux before linux-Ft?

6. Q: Setup SLIP server (in rc.net)

7. Linux-FT versus Linux-LDR

8. LAT and tty

9. GNU assembler release now folded into "binary utilities" package

10. linux.fix.temp: Linux bug fix report template

11. RH6.0 - i386-glibc20-linux-gcc or i386-redhat-linux-gcc

12. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT