Kernel question...

Post by Greg Kellog » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is ther a way to print the text the kernel and modules generate during boot
to say... ttyS0 or tty1, 2, or 3???  And perhaps just print to the screen:

Kernel Booting....

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greg

Kernel question...

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is ther a way to print the text the kernel and modules generate during boot
> to say... ttyS0 or tty1, 2, or 3???  And perhaps just print to the screen:

> Kernel Booting....

Sure there is!  Try "dmesg | less"!

--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

alt.binaries.punk: for those of us too
        punk to pay money for the music.

Kernel question...

Post by Greg Kellog » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I guess my question wasnt clear...  Here's what I want to do:

Boot Linux
Get message that says "Booting Linux...."  (no other text appears)
then, lo and behold the dtlogin screen appears

I would (in the background) have all messages sent to ttyS0

is this possible?

gk

>> Is ther a way to print the text the kernel and modules generate during
boot
>> to say... ttyS0 or tty1, 2, or 3???  And perhaps just print to the
screen:

>> Kernel Booting....

>Sure there is!  Try "dmesg | less"!

>--
>Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

>alt.binaries.punk: for those of us too
> punk to pay money for the music.

1. Kernel question and performance question

Hi all,

  I've got a linux box using kernel 2.0.29 with the teardrop patch
installed. This machine is a dedicated web server hooked to the net
through a dedicated line. My web server software is Apache 1.2.4 .
  My first question is, will upgrading to the new 2.0.32 kernel be worth
while? I've seen some misgivings here and there and was wondering what
the general concensus is. No I'm not using RedHat. :)
  My second problem is performance related. After the server is up for
10 to 15 days it seems to just start slowing down, commands take longer
and longer to execute, Apache response times are extremly high and that
sorta thing.
  What could be causing this? free shows plenty of RAM open, usually
around 20 meg on a 64 meg machine. Killing and restarting proccesses
doesn't seem to help. I don't see any zombie proccess lurking around. No
loadable modules, I compile my needed drivers into the kernel, which is
only a few.
  Any ideas? More info needed? Tell me what you need to see to make an
accurate estimation of what the problem might be.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Handle:Wild Card

Thought of the day:
Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.

2. Failure compiling KOffice and KDEGames from 2.0.1

3. Kernel Question

4. probleme with hd on a Sun Sol 2.6

5. Solaris kernel question

6. accessing hotmail under konqueror

7. Linux kernel questions

8. Gateway Configuration Problem

9. irqbalance and relased kernel question

10. kernel questions

11. Newbie Kernel Questions

12. SMP kernel question..

13. Newbie New Kernel Question