Windows NT|2000 Linux 2.2 port (was Linux apps in win2000 port news!)

Windows NT|2000 Linux 2.2 port (was Linux apps in win2000 port news!)

Post by Andrew van der Stoc » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

For about two months, I've been busy working away at the possibility of a
native NT microkernel version of a Linux server. It's definitely doable. I'm
collecting information at the moment. I was sort of hoping until I had some
code (typical bizarre project style), but since Interix have beat the OSS
community to the punch, I may as well announce it now.

I'm looking at making the linux server (subsystem) at least passingly
similar to the current 2.2 tree, so that changes could be merged in there
closer . The goal obviously is to run native Linux x86 and Alpha binaries
(depending on platform) without recompilation.

My current idea is for a %windir%\linux\... tree that contains a vmlinux.exe
and the standard linux file system standard and enough stuff to launch bash.
Once launched, the server launches linux images as normal. A
modification/complete re-write of umsdos would provide the file system (or
maybe just use ext2fs until this is a bit more of a reality). By making a
directX fbconsole layer, we could re-use the frame buffer console code as it
exists today. X would come (much) later, but again via the use of the XAA
layer in XFree86 4.0 (I know it doesn't yet exist, but I helped write the
early 3.9 stuff, so I know it does exist :-)

The native NT api is exceptionally well hidden and undocumented, but
NT/W2k's microkernel is as least as good as Mach in all respects (and memory
and thread management, it's significantly better), so a mklinux server port
wouldn't take more than a year with dedicated people.

 If anyone's interested please drop me a line. You'd need to have a compiler
and a passing knowledge of Windows NT/2000 to be useful at this stage. I'm
going to use Visual C++ until I can prove to myself that cygnus's (or other)
gcc under WIn32 can do the job. The reason for this is the header files,
which are vital to Win32 development.

Andrew

1. Linux apps in win2000 port news!

Hi all,

Just saw on the biz wire that a company http://www.interix.com has
developed a 64 bit application that runs a a unix/linux emulator within
the MSoft Win2000 (NT5.0) platform environment. They want alot of
Linux apps ported to their API interface so that Unix runs within Windows.
Seems kind of ironic since Linux is trying to run Windows apps in Unix;
but we don't have the source code to their stuff, but they have ours.
Hmmm! seems like there isn't any competition again. Msoft is supporting them
though.

They have a limited list of things they want ported such as gcc (all compilers and assemblers) and emacs and Tex to name a few. You have 2.5 months to do it
by -- they end of January 1999. Anything else is nice but they won't pay for.
Those they'd like you to port will only pay a maximum of $1000 to a cheap
payment of $500. They didn't mention [conveniently] that they would like the
linux kernel or Sunos x86 kernel etc to run within the interix Win2000.
The reason it was supposed to be done by the end of January 1999 (now past)
is due to todays press release about this product.

Hmmm! if you can't get the Unix software vendors to port their stuf from Unix
to Window Nt, then make the Unix apps run within NT! In this way you can
say that your OS is a engineering workstation.

--
        Mike,

2. best [k]sh idiom for "do 1+ files match this wildcard?"?

3. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

4. Support for Compaq 10/100 MBit NIC

5. SOT: Port forwarding under Windows 2000 to a Linux box

6. HELP!!!! How do I save an attachment using the ".forward" file????

7. Windows NT 2000 & Linux (Turbo Linux)

8. newbie forking

9. Porting threaded app from NT to Linux and AIX

10. Porting UNIX apps to Windows NT - IPC Mechanisms

11. Porting Apps From Unix To Windows NT

12. how2 port MULTITHREADED windows apps to Linux

13. Need Info on porting MS-Windows app. to Unix (Linux).