Buslogic SCSI, 1.3.5x kernels broken?

Post by Michael Pee » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Greetings, fellow Linuxers,

        Not too long ago, I posted about having fatal problems using ext2fs on a SCSI
drive connected to a Buslogic SCSI card.  I have been monitoring this group since
then and I have neither recieved a reply, nor noticed anyone with similar problems.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has had problems using Buslogic cards - or
is it just me?  Should I risk trying the newer kernels or wait for the next stable
release?

        Basically, to recap:

        I downloaded and compiled the latest bleeding-edge kernel, at the time 1.3.52.
When rebooting, I noticed that the Buslogic driver had changed, as it looked
different during bootup.  (Other than that I took little notice.)  But
after a few hours of normal use, X locked up.  I was unable to get out of X, nor
was it paying attention to the three-finger-solute. (X's or Linux's.)
        When I rebooted, Linux complained about having to check the drive.  I expected
that.  I chalked it up to life on the egde.  But then fsck said that the magic
number oas corrupt.  It didn't even know what kind of drive it was!  So I ran fsck
manually and told it what kind of drive it was and the inode density.  It complaned
vehemently for about 3 hours - AND THEN GAVE UP!  The drive was still kaput.
        So I reformatted the drive and restored from tape.  Then, as an experiment,
I tried doing a shutdown.  During the shutdown the kernel froze.  It got as far as
"Sending all processes the TERM signal..." but never got to "System halted."
        With a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, I hit the reset switch again.
Once again, fsck didn't even know what kind of drive it was.

        Since then I've been using the old stable kernel with no problems.

        Well?  Whatta think sirs?

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

          Not too long ago, I posted about having fatal problems using
  ext2fs on a SCSI drive connected to a Buslogic SCSI card.  I have been
  monitoring this group since then and I have neither recieved a reply, nor
  noticed anyone with similar problems.  I was wondering if anyone else out
  there has had problems using Buslogic cards - or is it just me?  Should I
  risk trying the newer kernels or wait for the next stable release?

  [snip snip]

        Since then I've been using the old stable kernel with no problems.

        Well?  Whatta think sirs?

I think you should check on whether your news and mail are working
properly.  I responded publicly with some configuration questions (as have
a few other folks), as well as directly by email, but I've never received a
reply from you.  There's not much any of us can do to investigate if two
way communication is impossible...

                Leonard

Post by Michael Pee » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>           Not too long ago, I posted about having fatal problems using
>   ext2fs on a SCSI drive connected to a Buslogic SCSI card.  I have been
>   monitoring this group since then and I have neither recieved a reply, nor
>   noticed anyone with similar problems.  I was wondering if anyone else out
>   there has had problems using Buslogic cards - or is it just me?  Should I
>   risk trying the newer kernels or wait for the next stable release?

>   [snip snip]

>         Since then I've been using the old stable kernel with no problems.

>         Well?  Whatta think sirs?

> I think you should check on whether your news and mail are working
> properly.  I responded publicly with some configuration questions (as have
> a few other folks), as well as directly by email, but I've never received a
> reply from you.  There's not much any of us can do to investigate if two
> way communication is impossible...

>                 Leonard

I think that may be a problem....  Hmm...

I have seen replies via news, but they were merely comments on whether or not said
poster was experiencing problems with their buslogic card.  (All of which, if
memory serves, said that they were not.)

Anyway, I think I may have caught a glimpse of the problem.  And I no longer think
that it is the driver.  I think perhaps the fact that the drive failed twice in a
row under the new kernel may be either coincidence, or evicence of a failing
drive/card.

While chugging along in 1.2.13, I rebooted to do some work in MS-DOG.  When I came
back, I was again confronted with the dreded "Superblock is corrupt" message.

I followed the instruction in fsck... e2fsck -b stuff /dev/thingy...  e2fsck just
came right back with the same error - superblock corrupt.

So this time I did something I had not done the other two times this happened.  I
turned the machine off.  After a few minutes of disgust I reminded myself that I
still had recent backups and decided to experiment with what ever e2fs commands I
could find.

When I turned the machine back on...  Everything was FINE!  There was nothing wrong
with the drive!

Me thinkest it is nearing time to upgrade that drive/card/both...

Thank you everyone who replied - and those who tried but didn't get through.

Sincerely,

        Making Backups

1. Buslogic SCSI, 1.3.5x kernels broken?

[...]

magic number was corrupt.  It didn't even know what kind of drive it was!  So I ran
fsck manually and told it what kind of drive it was and the inode density.  It
complaned vehemently for about 3 hours - AND THEN GAVE UP!  The drive was still
kaput.

        So I reformatted the drive and restored from tape.  Then, as an experiment,
I tried doing a shutdown.  During the shutdown the kernel froze.  It got as far as
"Sending all processes the TERM signal..." but never got to "System halted."

        With a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach, I hit the reset switch
again.  Once again, fsck didn't even know what kind of drive it was.

        Since then I've been using the old stable kernel with no problems.

        Here's what my syslog said about the whole thing:
kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
(last message repeated about a billion times)

kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:01): ext2_find_entry: bad entry in directory
#157706: rec_len     != 0 - offset=4096, inode=85, red_len=1027, name_len=11
(last message repeated about 5 times)

kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 08:01):ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not in
datazone - block = xxxxxxxxxx, count=1
(this message repeated in some form a billion times)

        Well?  Whattaya think sirs?

2. info path setup

3. ppp is broke on latest 1.3.5x kernels

4. Leafnode and fetch

5. kernel bdflush problems 1.3.5x

6. bash: /usr/bin/who: Input/output error

7. Where is Kernel 1.3.5X?

8. Hardware Authentication and Apache

9. Voxware 1.3.01 with kernel 1.3.5x how?

10. Problems with DIP and kernel 1.3.5x

11. 1.3.5x and bdflush problem

12. upgrade 1.3.24 to 1.3.5x???

13. 1 ide, 2 esdi (WD1007) - 1.3.5x fails ?