v1.1.74 -- Kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

v1.1.74 -- Kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

Post by Marc A. Tams » Tue, 03 Jan 1995 16:29:29

I've been running this kernel(1.1.74) for 8 days now, and once today
and once two days ago the error was logged:

kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

I'm wondering if this is something preventable or something that I
should worry about, or just something to ignore?

Thanks,
Marc.

--

1. getting "Couldn't get a free page" during install

Hi.

I'm getting a "couldn't get a free page" message when installing.
This message shows on the Alt-F4 screen.
I'm installing RedHat 4.2 from a store-bought RedHat
software package (not bundled with a "regular" book,
just 250 page guide).

The system is a 486-25 with 8MB of RAM and a
730MB Quantum SCSI-2 HDD.  The CDROM drive
is a Mountain CD7 changer (I'm only using disc
tray 1, and it accesses the drive just fine for the
install up to the point where I get the above message).
I switch to Alt-F4 to see this message after the Alt-F1
screen remains stationary for a long period of time.

The SCSI controller is an old clone (Tekram) that has
caching enabled (for some reason, I used to be able
to get into the Tekram configuration on boot-up
by pressing F2 or F6 to enable/disable disk caching
and setup other SCSI parameters, but can't now, so
I'm stuck with caching enabled on the hard disk
device).

I get the error while installing packages during the
initial install.  At first, I selected "Everything" and had
a 95MB swap partition.  Then I tried selecting just
Emacs and NFS and using about a 140MB swap
partition.  Results were the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and
thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cameron

2. Can Netware be this bad!

3. Leafwa-0.5.0 released

4. kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

5. ATI RAGE FURY PRO HELP!!!

6. Kernel 1.1.64 - "Couldn't get a free page"

7. Definitions for /proc/<pid>/status command

8. kernel: Couldn't get a free page.....

9. "Couldn't get a free page" kernel errors

10. kernel couldn't get a free page

11. kernel: Couldn't get a free page

12. Solution requested for a 'Couldn't get a free page.....' problem