About Swap Scheduling

Post by Josh Ste » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I recently had the following Linux experience:

I was trying to edit a file and do
other work interactively, while running, in
background, a computationally intensive process,
which intermittently used more virtual memory than the
real memory of the machine.
Editing the file and switching between other idle
foreground windows was jerky and annoying because of
the swapping due to the huge process.  Renicing the
huge process did not help very much, however renicing
kswapd to a weaker priority did help considerably.

If this experience was not misleading in some way,
then it seems that the swapping, which occurs as a
result of page faults created by a large process
will ordinarily have the priority of the swapper
and not the process responsible.  Is this correct?
Would it make sense to have a configuration option
which would allow the functional priority level
of the scheduled swapping to be the priority of
the process causing the real memory page fault?
I suspect there are probably architectural issues
that would make this difficult, but just thought
I would throw it out as a question/suggestion.

- Josh

1. MS-DOS Swap File vs. Swap Partition

Hello, All;

What performance difference, if any, should I expect to see between a
native Linux swap partition and a swap file residing on an MS-DOS
partition?

I'm currently using my Microsoft Windows swap file as a Linux swap
file, and I'm considering adding a dedicated Linux swap partition as
well.  If there's no performance benefit, I may as well just use a
larger Windows swap file.

Bruce

2. ps-0.97 error creating psdatabase

3. Unwanted Swapping in 2.4.14-pre8, no swapping in 2.4.14-pre6aa1

4. Netscape FREE!

5. Swap file VS Swap partition

6. Which OS's handle >2Gb filesystems?

7. 20+ meg Swap partition setup, but top only reports 860k of swap available...

8. SCSI CD error

9. Installing Win/Linux shared swap on old swap partition

10. 2.5.30 swaps with no swap device mounted!!

11. Linux Swap Partition and Win3.1 Swap File

12. How to make swap files instead of swap partions???

13. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"