Where is the `trace' command?

Post by Ronald F. Guilmet » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Sorry if this is an FAQ.

I'd like to know where I can get a copy of the `trace' command for
Linux.

I just installed Yggdrasil Fall '95 release, and there doesn't appear
to be a `trace' command on the system.
--

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, CA -------- Infinite Monkeys & Co. ------------

Where is the `trace' command?

Post by Stormy (loves Li » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Over 400 years ago, Nostradamus predicted that Ronald Guilmette would write:

   I'd like  to know where I  can get a  copy of the `trace'  command for
   Linux.

   I just installed Yggdrasil Fall  '95 release, and there doesn't appear
   to be a `trace' command on the system.

Try "strace".

Be happy...

           ,-------------------------------------------------------.

           |-------------------------------------------------------|
           |    Stormy Mountain, a ROM 2.4 (phs.k12.ar.us 6969)    |
           |         Marrying my Lisa on April 20th, 1996.         |
           `-------------------------------------------------------'

Where is the `trace' command?

Post by Marc Fraio » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to know where I can get a copy of the `trace' command for
>Linux.

Try 'strace'.  If it's not on your CD, it should be on sunsite somewhere.

--
Marc Fraioli          | "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Data General Corp     |    - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,

Where is the `trace' command?

Post by Mike Lo » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Sorry if this is an FAQ.
> I'd like to know where I can get a copy of the `trace' command for
> Linux.
> I just installed Yggdrasil Fall '95 release, and there doesn't appear
> to be a `trace' command on the system.
> --
> -- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, CA -------- Infinite Monkeys & Co. ------------

If you are looking for a command to trace system calls, there is
something called 'strace.' It's included in the Slackware d8 package or
you can download from ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/strace/.

Mike

Where is the `trace' command?

Post by Michael Elizabeth Chasta » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Try 'strace'.

Michael Chastain

1. "trace" router's command - how does it work?

Hello all!

QUESTION: How exactly do router's 'trace' command available on many
web-based 'looking glasses' work?

DETAILS: For example, when I go to http://www.noc.garr.it/looking-glass/ ,
I can enter any IP address (like 212.1.196.25, which is in Poland, btw)
and choosing the "trace" command I can get a traceroute-like path from a router for which this
looking-glass works to a destionation host (given by me). Along with the
intermediary nodes I get AS numbers, which is *extremely* interesting for
me.
I believe these looking-glasses use (Cisco?)router's built-in command
"trace". How can a router know any AS number for any IP address along the
path? Is it using it's own routing table (which means it must store like
4000 AS numbers), or does it query some other routers to do the "trace" thing? How
is it *implemented* and can I use BGP protocol to mimic trace command,
granted I am authorised to the edge router on my network?

Thank you very much for any information.

-marek

2. tcl/tk80a2 compile error

3. Piping results of a 'find' command to a 'mv' command...

4. natd: failed to write packet back

5. Better 'trace' for SunOS 4.1.3 (like 'truss')?

6. Signals & setuid programs

7. C shell command to use 'file' command to automatically scale a file

8. Ultra 10 sparc / time won't stay

9. Q: 'Make' command: how to suppress warning when overriding a command?

10. How to hide from 'who', 'finger', 'ps' commands?

11. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

12. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

13. What am I 'make'ing