System.map vs. /proc/ksyms

Post by Dana Echtn » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to compile a module which intercepts the unlink system call.
So far so good but I'm stuck on one point.

By using struct dentry I can get the id of the filesystem that my file
being deleted is on.  How can I convert this id to the name of the mount
point?

I found lookup_vfsmnt but when I try to use it I get

./syscall.o: unresolved symbol lookup_vfsmnt

Now lookup_vfsmnt is in my System.map but not in /proc/ksyms

So my question is, what can I do to be able to use lookup_vfsmnt?  If I
can't use it, what can I use instead to convert a filesystem ID into its
current mount point.

Thanks!

Dana
--
Dana Echtner             \  Unix Systems Administrator

          rw-rw-rw-:  The file protection of the beast

System.map vs. /proc/ksyms

Post by Dana Echtn » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Now lookup_vfsmnt is in my System.map but not in /proc/ksyms

   Well, naturally, 10 minutes after I posted this my husband found
ksyms.c.  We added the symbol lookup_vfsmnt for exporting and now I can
load my module.

   So my question is now

   Instead of having to rebuild the kernel with the extra symbol exported,
is there a different way to convert a system ID to its mount point?

   Thanks

   D.
--
Dana Echtner             \  Unix Systems Administrator

          rw-rw-rw-:  The file protection of the beast

1. Difference between /proc/ksyms and System.map

Greetings,

Would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on the differences
between the following:

1) $ cat /proc/ksyms

2) $ /sbin/ksyms

3) $ cat /boot/System.map     // The map file for the running kernel

I am getting different output for all three.

Q1. I was expeting that 1 & 2 should be some, but were not?  Why?

Q2. I was expecting 3 to be different from  1&2 , because it does not
contain moudule symbols.  Is that true assumption.

Q3. Is 1 or 2  a superset of the contents of System.map file?  If so,
what else info does it contain?

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed.

2. lilo question

3. System.map not parseable as a System.map

4. DEC VRT-17 HA monitor and X

5. Added some debugging stuff under net/ipv4, I can see the new function in System.map file, I can't see that under /proc/ksyms once I loaded new kernel, why?

6. re-reserve of hdiskxx fialed with 5

7. Can I make System.map -> zSystem.map???

8. What is the programm name ?

9. Q: relationship between vmlinuz, System.map, & module.map

10. RedHat 5.2, "/boot/System.map" and "/boot/System.map"

11. what is System.map? zSystem.map?

12. nommu systems can't support /proc/<pid>/maps

13. cat /proc/ksyms cause a SEGV on 2.1.29