is a virtual console truly virtual?

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:45:44

Just how "virtual" is a virtual console?

I made a patch that implements an ioctl() to reliably stuff input into
a virtual console as if entered from the keyboard.  It works with each
individual virtual console separately.  Different ones can be fed into
simultaneously, and they do not have to be activated to the physical
console for it to work.  A program simply opens the virtual console
read/only and calls the ioctl() with a string of input.  Read access
is required for the ioctl() to succeed, as well as enough space.

The thing is, no use of the physical console is made.  But do I have to
actually have a physical console for a virtual console to work, given
that nothing happens on the physical console unless the active virtual
console is ths selected one.

If a machine had no physical video/keyboard console at all, what would
be wrong with still having all the virtual consoles?

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 04:27:52

[...]

[This is a repeat post because the previous posting simply never showed
up.  If you have the original posting, I'd appreciate the message ID
number from it.]

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |

1. creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

Hello,
For my own amusement I am interested in creating a special
console that will use the F12 key. Does anyone know
if it is possible to have the existing Linux consoles
coexisting with the new one? Or would I have to modify the
existing VT100 console? What I want to do is radically
different from a VT100 emulation.
Thanks.

2. Grep position > 255

3. Virtual Server - Script to install/remove virtual names

4. Windows' Dial-up Networking is braindead

5. Virtual hosts/virtual IP

6. dhcp problem with cable modem

7. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

8. Sendmail & message size limits.

9. Name Based Virtual Hosting - Unable to access Virtual domain from IE/Lynx

10. virtual terminal vs. virtual frame buffer

11. Virtual Desktop/No Virtual Setting

12. virtual domain and virtual email question. . .

13. Virtual Reality Modeling Language (Virtual Reality)