Installation from serial console/terminal

Installation from serial console/terminal

Post by Xavi Nebot i Roc » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Pentium computer, and I want a to install Red Hat 6.0, but without
monitor neither keyboard.

I want that this system to work alone, with an ethernet card for remote
access, and a serial line for installation and local maintenance.

I'm searching information about installation using a serial
console/terminal?

Thanks a lot,

Xavi

Installation from serial console/terminal

Post by Anders Larse » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a Pentium computer, and I want a to install Red Hat 6.0, but without
> monitor neither keyboard.

> I want that this system to work alone, with an ethernet card for remote
> access, and a serial line for installation and local maintenance.

> I'm searching information about installation using a serial
> console/terminal?

?Hola! Xavi,

you've got to add a keyboard and monitor during the installation, of course.
After installing, you must configure a new kernel and select "support for console on serial line". Read the help of that option, the links should point you to the rest you'll need.

You'll also have to set your BIOS to *not* halt on keyboard/VGA errors.

Hope this helps.

--
chao
Anders Larsen

Installation from serial console/terminal

Post by Anders Larse » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a Pentium computer, and I want a to install Red Hat 6.0, but without
> monitor neither keyboard.

> I want that this system to work alone, with an ethernet card for remote
> access, and a serial line for installation and local maintenance.

> I'm searching information about installation using a serial
> console/terminal?

?Hola! Xavi,

you've got to add a keyboard and monitor during the installation, of course.
After installing, you must configure a new kernel and select "support for console on serial line". Read the help of that option, the links should point you to the rest you'll need.

You'll also have to set your BIOS to *not* halt on keyboard/VGA errors.

Hope this helps.

--
chao
Anders Larsen

Installation from serial console/terminal

Post by Anders Larse » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have a Pentium computer, and I want a to install Red Hat 6.0, but without
> monitor neither keyboard.

> I want that this system to work alone, with an ethernet card for remote
> access, and a serial line for installation and local maintenance.

> I'm searching information about installation using a serial
> console/terminal?

?Hola! Xavi,

you've got to add a keyboard and monitor during the installation, of course.
After installing, you must configure a new kernel and select "support for console on serial line". Read the help of that option, the links should point you to the rest you'll need.

You'll also have to set your BIOS to *not* halt on keyboard/VGA errors.

Hope this helps.

--
chao
Anders Larsen

1. Installation from serial console/terminal

Hi,

I have a Pentium computer, and I want a to install Red Hat 6.0, but without
monitor neither keyboard.

I want that this system to work alone, with an ethernet card for remote
access, and a serial line for installation and local maintenance.

I'm searching information about installation using a serial
console/terminal?

Thanks a lot,

Xavi

2. Document for Installing Linux on ATA/100 Drive

3. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off

4. Performance of striped disks (some numbers)

5. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

6. Future of Kernel tree 2.0 ............

7. serial terminal as console?

8. Serial port problem - 0.98.1

9. WHAT are the best terminal-options for serial console ???

10. Multiple consoles from serial terminal?

11. Redhat 7.1 - Using an ADDS serial terminal as console during boot

12. Serial console terminal type

13. Serial port console terminal??