Linux and Fax/Data/Voice Modem

Post by Damon Koronak » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello out there,

US Robotics apparently has a relatively cheap new modem that will do
incoming/outgoing G3 fax, 28.8 V34 and voicemail.

What I would love to do is the following:  hook up such a modem to my
Linux box, have the box accept voicemail and faxes, and be able to
retrieve the voicemail/faxfiles over the Internet (web interface).

Does anyone have a driver for the US Robotics (or similar) modem.  If
so, have you figured out the format of the voicemail/fax files?  If
I can get that information, I'll write the code to retrieve said voicemail
and faxes from an Internet-connected Linux box and I'll distribute it
back to this group.

All leads much appreciated.

Damon Koronakos

| J.B.S. Haldane's four stages of acceptance (J. of Genetics #58, 1963): |
| 1. this is worthless nonsense; 2. this is an interesting, but perverse |
| pt of view; 3. this is true but quite unimportant; 4. I always said so |

Post by Craig Este » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hello out there,

> US Robotics apparently has a relatively cheap new modem that will do
> incoming/outgoing G3 fax, 28.8 V34 and voicemail.

> What I would love to do is the following:  hook up such a modem to my
> Linux box, have the box accept voicemail and faxes, and be able to
> retrieve the voicemail/faxfiles over the Internet (web interface).

> Does anyone have a driver for the US Robotics (or similar) modem.  If
> so, have you figured out the format of the voicemail/fax files?  If
> I can get that information, I'll write the code to retrieve said voicemail
> and faxes from an Internet-connected Linux box and I'll distribute it
> back to this group.

> All leads much appreciated.

> Damon Koronakos

Try sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Serial/ZyXel-1.5-source.tar.gz
as a starting point.

Post by Rob Janss » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> Hello out there,

>> US Robotics apparently has a relatively cheap new modem that will do
>> incoming/outgoing G3 fax, 28.8 V34 and voicemail.

>> What I would love to do is the following:  hook up such a modem to my
>> Linux box, have the box accept voicemail and faxes, and be able to
>> retrieve the voicemail/faxfiles over the Internet (web interface).

>> Does anyone have a driver for the US Robotics (or similar) modem.  If
>> so, have you figured out the format of the voicemail/fax files?  If
>> I can get that information, I'll write the code to retrieve said voicemail
>> and faxes from an Internet-connected Linux box and I'll distribute it
>> back to this group.
>Try sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Serial/ZyXel-1.5-source.tar.gz
>as a starting point.

When you want to use that program, it is better to start from the
version found on jupiter.sparco.com:/pub/rob

Rob
--
+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Post by Rob Fu » Mon, 22 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>US Robotics apparently has a relatively cheap new modem that will do
>incoming/outgoing G3 fax, 28.8 V34 and voicemail.

Yes, I just bought one.

Quote:>What I would love to do is the following:  hook up such a modem to my
>Linux box, have the box accept voicemail and faxes, and be able to
>retrieve the voicemail/faxfiles over the Internet (web interface).

That last part sounds scary.... other than that I have similar goals.

Quote:>Does anyone have a driver for the US Robotics (or similar) modem.  If
>so, have you figured out the format of the voicemail/fax files?  If
>I can get that information, I'll write the code to retrieve said voicemail
>and faxes from an Internet-connected Linux box and I'll distribute it
>back to this group.

You want to take a look at mgetty+sendfax/vgetty.  The vgetty part is
an extension to mgetty for doing voice mail.  It was primarily
developed for the Zyxel modem, but it has some USR support now (among
others).
The mgetty web page:
  http://www.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/index.html

And the newsgroup (gated with the mailing list): de.alt.comm.mgetty
--

    -- Chris Mars, "Stuck in Rewind"  |http://er4www.eng.ohio-state.edu/~funkr

   Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:36:04 -0800

   US Robotics apparently has a relatively cheap new modem that will do
   incoming/outgoing G3 fax, 28.8 V34 and voicemail.

Be careful!!  Some of the new modems from USRobotics (especially the
cheap ones) require that you run proprietary, Windows only software in
order to use the modems at all.  Avoid those modems, since they will NOT
work under Linux.

                                                        - Ted

1. Which internal 56K voice/fax/data modem works with Linux?

Ok I get the sarcasm from this group, "don't buy a winmodem"

But which one's are winmodems and which ones will work. They aren't all
stamped "WinModem - don't buy!"

The FAQs and HOWTOs seem to have been written back when 28K was the
new kid on the block and could do with some updating.

Cheers
Phil

2. OpenWindows

3. Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice Modem + Linux

4. Help: Can't find setserial in Mandarke 8.2

5. Decent modem (Fax/data/Voice) for linux ?

6. xconsole iconed or not under Fvwm95/xdm

7. 56Kbps Dual-Mode Zoom 2925 Data/Voice/Fax Modem

8. Gnome: error in loading shared libraries

9. Data/Fax/Voice Modem?

10. Can't get Boca internal 56K voice/data/fax modem to work

11. ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem