novel like modules for linux

Post by Benito Hor » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

will there ever be a novel NLM type module setup for linux in the plans?
it would be nice to be able to unload and load modules like TCP/IP,
network drivers etc via Re-entrant module technology. is this in the
works for a future linux? linux 2.0

Post by Uwe Bonn » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: will there ever be a novel NLM type module setup for linux in the plans?
: it would be nice to be able to unload and load modules like TCP/IP,
: network drivers etc via Re-entrant module technology. is this in the
: works for a future linux? linux 2.0
:
module?
elektron:~/tmp> man -k module
depmod, modprobe (1) - Handle loadable modules automatically
get_kernel_syms, create_module, init_module, delete_module (2) - Loadable module
 support
insmod (1)           - Install loadable modules (aout and ELF format)
lsmod (1)            - Shows the loaded modules.
rmmod (1)            - Unload loadable modules
Or what do you mean?

Post by Alan C » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>it would be nice to be able to unload and load modules like TCP/IP,
>network drivers etc via Re-entrant module technology. is this in the
>works for a future linux? linux 2.0

Linux 1.2 has many loadable network drivers, 1.3.x almost all the net
drivers are dynamically loadable but not yet protocol stacks.

Alan

--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

Redistribution of this message via the Microsoft Network is prohibited
<A href="file:/dev/mouse">Click here to disable mouse.</A>

novel like modules for linux

Post by Joel Ka » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>will there ever be a novel NLM type module setup for linux in the plans?
>it would be nice to be able to unload and load modules like TCP/IP,
>network drivers etc via Re-entrant module technology. is this in the
>works for a future linux? linux 2.0

        Similar capability has been in Linux for a long time. We have
insmod, rmmod, and lsmod. You can compile kernel code into a .o file and
install it with insmod. Their is support for initialization code, cleanup
code, and a reference count to prevent the module from being removed
while in use.

        Newer efforts include dependencies between modules and even
automatic insertion/removal on demand.

--
Joel Katz                   Corporate Web Pages - http://WWW.*Plus.COM
Information on Objectivism, Atheism, the 8031/8051 Microcontrollers, Linux

1. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

Newsgroupies

    Step 1: Install OpenLinux 1.1 "Lite"

    Step 2: Configure & tweak everything

    Step 3: Install about 300 meg of files

    Step 4: Discover that nearly everything you want to do requires RH
5.2, not RH 4.2 which is what OL 1.1 is.

The actual problem I'm up against right now is when I try to install DBI
the 'perl Makefile.PL' says everything's okay, then 'make' claims it
can't find dozens of common C header files like stdlib.h, in.h,
params.h, etc. So I start installing gcc-2*.rpm and its dependencies
over and over again, then finding the h files it emits and copying them
into the directory 'makefile' seems to be looking at.

I have no stdio.h on the box. I thought Linux came with a complete C
compiler built-in.

I'm going to get OpenLinux 1.3 and try to refresh my install. This
should give me a clean image with the correct configurations, and just
maybe I'l get a viable stdio.h.

On a Real Computer, the OS install program does not insist on wiping out
the hard drive. Caldera's installer is going to require I reformat.

How do I upgrade the install without reformatting the drive? I don't
think I'l want to mount the CD, go to its RPMS directory, and call
'rpm -U *.rpm'. That's just going to research the existing (bad)
configuration and then screw it up more, right?

Any hints welcome. Like hopefully before I start.

  --  Phlip at politizen dot com                  (address munged)

2. lockd bug still not fixed?

3. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

4. Motherboards

5. Intel Likes the Napster Way..Oh, and also Linux

6. ATI Mach64 X-config help???

7. Apparently the BBC likes Linux

8. How to have konqueror load with navigation panel? how to lock size?

9. IT likes Linux at work

10. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

11. Cheap PCI enet card that Linux likes?

12. Samba on (RH5) Linux likes 95 but hates NT?

13. Linux liked more than XP; going mainstream