Enabling VLB_32_BIT

Post by Milind D Paranj » Mon, 10 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I tried enabling the VLB_32_BIT option in ide.c, and got
a kernel panic as Linux tried to mount the hard-drive
as root.  All the option seems to do is write strings
to the data port using 32 bit instructions instead
of 16 bit ones.  I poked through the DOS driver that
came with the card, and saw that it does the same thing--
intercept int 13h calls which require string writes to
the data port of the controller, and use 32 bit
instructions.  I did notice one thing, though.  In
the driver's initialization routine, it wrote 0x55
to the sectors port (port 0x172, I think), and read
three times from the same location using 8 bit
instructions.  At the end, this value was checked
to be 0.  So, my question is, why does it work in DOS
and not in Linux?  Do I have to somehow tell the card
to let me use 32 bit instructions?  I have tried
using REALLY_SHOW_IO and disabling REALLY_FAST_IO.
Going in REALLY_FAST mode works when I'm not using
VLB_32_BIT.  Any clues?

Thanks,

Milind

1. Rh6.2 - telnet server not enabled, how to enable?

I have an installation of RH6.2 that I cannot telnet into. I try to connect
from my Windows box, and I don't even get a login prompt. Is this service
not enabled by default?

What is the telnet daemon called under RH62, and where do I configure it to
start at boot time?

I would like to set it to deny most IP addresses, as well.

2. Sys V386 binaries working under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 ???

3. on boot: "Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled" How do I enable options?

4. auto-raise

5. Enabling DMA with hdparm...

6. SQUID and multible In-Out-IPs

7. How could I enable two IP for 1 network card in Freebsd?

8. replace windows/samba

9. enabling port 80 on debian-ppc

10. How to enable core dumps from root on Linux

11. 2.5.39-bk crashes here when P4 clock modulation enabled

12. How to enable read-wite of root over NFS ?

13. How to enable the XFce window manager for RH5.2