GDB support for pthreads under Linux?

Post by George Talbo » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

The GDB I have (w/RH 5.1) doesn't support Linux's pthreads implementation.
Anyone know of any patches or other de*s that do?

--
George T. Talbot

GDB support for pthreads under Linux?

Post by Michael Hirsc » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

You might try this.  Last I heard they were planning a linux version.
It is a gdb with threads extension de*.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Michael D. Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger

Post by Nathan Mye » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>The GDB I have (w/RH 5.1) doesn't support Linux's pthreads implementation.
>Anyone know of any patches or other de*s that do?

The Open Group has a set of patches for gdb to support debugging
threads.  URL, anybody?

--
Nathan Myers

Post by Andreas Disching » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >The GDB I have (w/RH 5.1) doesn't support Linux's pthreads implementation.
> >Anyone know of any patches or other de*s that do?

> The Open Group has a set of patches for gdb to support debugging
> threads.  URL, anybody?

The URL is:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Does anybody have any experiences with this patch?

Andi
--
   //|       |\\
  //||       ||\\         http://www.veryComputer.com/~awd/

//  ||ndreas |//ischinger PGP-Key by finger.

GDB support for pthreads under Linux?

Post by Ekkehard Hoffma » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

[snip]
|> > The Open Group has a set of patches for gdb to support debugging
|> > threads.  URL, anybody?
|> The URL is:
|> http://www.gr.opengroup.org/java/jdk/linux/debug.htm
|> Does anybody have any experiences with this patch?
I'm using a patched version of gdb to debug my multithreaded programs.
So far I haven't any problems with the patches.
The could be applied with no problems to the mentioned versions of gdb and glibc.
The newly build glibc has not more problems than the original one.
The newly build gdb allows to debug a multithreaded program.

Ciao, Eccy

--
Ekkehard Hoffmann
Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI)

Post by Nix » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> The GDB I have (w/RH 5.1) doesn't support Linux's pthreads implementation.

Upgrade to gdb-4.17.

--
`Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack
 away on a complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never

1. HELP! GDB & pthread support

Hi there.
I'm 3.0-RELEASE user.
I made some test programs which uses pthread library.
It worked very well.
After getting successful results, I tried to use GDB to get detailed
thread specific information.
But I could not see created threads in GDB.
The GDB command 'info threads' just print nothing as if it do not have
any threads.
No thread related commands work.

GDB in 3.0-RELEASE does not support threads?
Or is there any other ways to let GDB know threads?

Another question, when I link pthread application with '-lc_r' option ,
linker complains like this.
gcc -o mytest  a.o b.o c.o -lc_r

/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  encrypt(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is
stupid.

When I use '-pthread' option instead of '-lc_r', the linker says
nothing.
gcc -pthread -o mytest a.o b.o c.o

Is there any fundamental difference between '-lc_r' and '-pthread'
option?

Thanks.

2. MOZILLA-ICON.PNG - could someone please send to me?

3. help: need gdb with pthread support?

4. Good quality keyboard.

5. gdb & pthreads in Alpha linux 2.0.36

6. checking for numerical argument

7. pthreads and gdb

8. Floppy-based install of R5 possible?

9. pthreads, GDB, Segmantation fault

10. gdb extension for POSIX pthreads

11. GLIBC2 + pthreads + gdb?

12. gdb and pthreads hang

13. Debugging pthread based apps with gdb