Linux programming question / Network Programming

Linux programming question / Network Programming

Post by Remo William » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 01:48:26

Guys,

I'm new to programming and I have a few questions. The reason I'm learning C
is that I'm interested in network programming. I have a network engineering
background with some Unix administration. I've had a chance to look at at
several implementations of the TCP/IP stack.

Where do programmers get the source code for network protocols? TCP/IP ,
OSPF, BGP?

Post by Adib Tarabe » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 06:18:29

> Guys,

> I'm new to programming and I have a few questions. The reason I'm learning C
> is that I'm interested in network programming. I have a network engineering
> background with some Unix administration. I've had a chance to look at at
> several implementations of the TCP/IP stack.

> Where do programmers get the source code for network protocols? TCP/IP ,
> OSPF, BGP?

There is an IBM red book on it. There you can get detailled information.
Look into kernel sources for implementation.

Adib.

Post by Lew Pitche » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:20:19

> Guys,

> I'm new to programming and I have a few questions. The reason I'm learning C
> is that I'm interested in network programming. I have a network engineering
> background with some Unix administration. I've had a chance to look at at
> several implementations of the TCP/IP stack.

> Where do programmers get the source code for network protocols? TCP/IP ,
> OSPF, BGP?

"Source code"?

Programmers get the specifications for the various protocols from the
IETF's RFC database. There are RFCs defining each of the protocols, in
detail; the RFCs are _the_ definition of the protocol.

Programmers _write_ the source code to implement the protocols.
Frequently, they use reference manuals for guidance wrt the building of
interfaces, etc. As one poster suggested, the IBM RedBook collection
contains one such reference manual. However it isn't the _only_
referencec manual; there are many manuals available, from Stevens
"TCP/IP Illustrated" and "Unix Network Programming" on to manuals
documenting the MSWindows "WINSOCK" API.

Where can _you_ get the source code? /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/*.c and
other places in the Linux source code tree.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

Post by el.. » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:07:33

>Where do programmers get the source code for network protocols? TCP/IP ,
>OSPF, BGP?

Most programmers don't bother with source code for network
protocols. They just use the stacks provided by the OS.

--
http://www.linuxcoding.com/