sound during system startup (in LILO?)

Post by u.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

When a Mac starts up, we hear a pleasant little phooom sound.
When Windows starts up, we hear some chintsy annoying sound.
When Linux starts up, one hears nothing except the hard disk.

Has anyone pursued the idea of, perhaps before kernel
decompression, playing a simple pleasant sound on the PC
speaker using a modification of the PC Speaker Driver's
PCM routine? Doing it in LILO would allow removing it via
an option if the user so desires, and it would also allow
passing musical notes to the PCM routine to play using perhaps
a simple sine-wave.

Even a penguin quack would be nice.

uwuh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kasper Dupon » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> When a Mac starts up, we hear a pleasant little phooom sound.
> When Windows starts up, we hear some chintsy annoying sound.
> When Linux starts up, one hears nothing except the hard disk.

> Has anyone pursued the idea of, perhaps before kernel
> decompression, playing a simple pleasant sound on the PC
> speaker using a modification of the PC Speaker Driver's
> PCM routine? Doing it in LILO would allow removing it via
> an option if the user so desires, and it would also allow
> passing musical notes to the PCM routine to play using perhaps
> a simple sine-wave.

> Even a penguin quack would be nice.

> uwuh

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I don't think that LILO will ever get that feature.
You could either write your own loader with that
feature or do it before LILO is being loaded. Most
PC's have 31KB of unused space at the start of the
harddisk, here you could place the sound and a
copy of the MBR in the MBR you could then place
the code to play the sound. That would work
independent of what OS you are using.

--
Kasper Dupont

Post by Aurel Balmosa » Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:26:59

> > When a Mac starts up, we hear a pleasant little phooom sound.
> > When Windows starts up, we hear some chintsy annoying sound.
> > When Linux starts up, one hears nothing except the hard disk.
> I don't think that LILO will ever get that feature.
> You could either write your own loader with that
> feature or do it before LILO is being loaded. Most
> PC's have 31KB of unused space at the start of the
> harddisk, here you could place the sound and a
> copy of the MBR in the MBR you could then place
> the code to play the sound. That would work
> independent of what OS you are using.

Also the MAC or windows play sound AFTER the OS has been
loaded. (and of course the audio drivers)

It should be quite simple to introduce beeps and other nice
sound (if you have a sound card configured) that are played
from within the inittab processing. I.e. for SuSE installations
there is currently a colored 'done' shown.

- find out where this 'done'is printed
- introduce a new environment variable (like
  SOUND_OK=ok.wav, SOUND_FAILED=failed.wav,
  SOUND_FATAL=fatal.wav)
- allow the init-scripts to set these variables
  to play specific wave sounds.

to make something like the windows startup sound when
using xdm (or other X-login programs) you just have to
wrap the X-Server call by a script that plays the sound
and then executes the x-server.

Playing sound after a user is logged in is a matter of the
window manager (session manager). I think KDE allows
you to configure that.

Best Regards,

        Aurel Balmosan.
have to wrap