Headless Linux Stations?

Post by Erik Peterse » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

There is support for directing console activity to a serial port:

add:

to the global (top) section of your lilo.conf.

As in:

serial=0,9600n8

Note that this doesn't disable the keyboard. (To remove the keyboard
entirely, set in BIOS to NOT halt on boot errors.)

Then, set a getty up for the serial port after init starts. You'll
have to fiddle with the exact implementation specifics.
Erik Petersen                                         MediaGlobe Inc.

416-361-7297                                http://www.mediaglobe.com

Headless Linux Stations?

Post by Jean Lidd » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Greetings,

   Has anyone managed to configure a headless (i.e. no monitor attached)
Linux Workstation?  What I mean by this is having all console output
and keyboard input during bootup (LILO, kernel messages, emergency fsck
shells, etc.) sent to a serial port rather than the frame buffer and
keyboard.  In this way I could connect a laptop to the serial port and
do any system maintenance necessary, without the need for a monitor on
the machine.  The behavior would be similar to a Sun Workstation with no
keyboard attached, where all console output is then sent to the serial port.

   The reason I want to do this is that I wish to deploy a Linux Workstation
in a location with very limited space.  I realize that the keyboard must
remain attached to boot (annoying!), but a monitor at this location is
out of the question.  My current setup allows me to log in through the
serial port from a laptop to do system maintenance if the network link is
dead, provided the machine is otherwise in a sane state (i.e. getty's are
running properly).  I would like to be able to monitor bootup and make
any emergency changes required via the serial cable if the machine should
wind up in an unstable state, such as when a filesystem becomes corrupted,
or worse, inittab gets hosed.  Currently my only option is to lug the
machine to a different location with room for a monitor and reboot -- which,
given the distance, isn't a very good option.

   Any information, particularly from people who may have done similar
things, would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Jean.
--
Jean Liddle                           | DISCLAIMER:  "The twisted and, yes,

                                      | sick mind, and certainly do not
                                      | (necessarilly) reflect those of my
                                      | employer, nor of any other human being."
 -------------------------------------+----------------------------------------
When you go out strolling through the world you do not have the "right not to
be offended" by the values and cultures of other peoples/countries/religions.
        -- internet user, on Republican-proposed internet censorship

Headless Linux Stations?

Post by Jared Mau » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Greetings,

>   Has anyone managed to configure a headless (i.e. no monitor attached)
>Linux Workstation?  What I mean by this is having all console output
>and keyboard input during bootup (LILO, kernel messages, emergency fsck
>shells, etc.) sent to a serial port rather than the frame buffer and
>keyboard.  In this way I could connect a laptop to the serial port and
>do any system maintenance necessary, without the need for a monitor on
>the machine.  The behavior would be similar to a Sun Workstation with no
>keyboard attached, where all console output is then sent to the serial port.

        I have the patch, and am working on getting a init that will take
a break from the serial line, and halt the system, just like a SUN.  It's
pretty cool actually, and perhaps someday I'll give out the patches, but
not for now.

        I can give you the patch for a serial console -- just drop me a msg.

I also have 2 headless machines:

        nether.net
        and puck.nether.net

        - Jared

Headless Linux Stations?

Post by Greg de Freita » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I run my second box *dx2/66+32M+512HD with a serial terminal,
/etc/lilo.conf:

..
append = "serial=0x03f8 scon=0"
..

this gives me everything after init,
however hardware probing only seems to want to come out on
the vid screen.

Obviously, you dont want the "prompt" option!
(then you may disable the kybd in CMOS?)
--
Ciao 4 now,
Greg.

Headless Linux Stations?

Post by R. D. Thoma » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

When you get that to a point that you feel like releasing it, I would
appreciate a copy.

Thanks in advance of that time.

Dale

1. Docking Station (Desk Station V Plus) with Western Digital HD (under Linux)

Is the hard disk on the SCSI adaptor or the IDE one? Is the mouse serial
or PS/2? I presume you are using a Docking Station V+, but you don't say.

In theory you just need to reboot the machine whilst it's docked.
If the mouse is PS/2 enter the BIOS setup by holding down ESC whilst
powering on and select between Simultaneous/AutoSelected, note there is
a bug in the PS/2 driver in either Linux or XFree86 that causes the mouse
pointer to sometimes jump to the left hand edge of the screen when the
setting is simultaneous.

I would appreciate it if you could send me a private email giving me fuller
details of any problems you are having getting it to work, error messages
you are getting. This will help me pursade Toshiba to include a docking
station in the next batch of laptops they send me.

JAB.

--

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

2. color_xterm -- occasional segfaults?

3. SPARC-station running Solaris vs PC-station running Linux

4. Dual 3c509 Cards under Linux

5. Docking Station (Desk Station V Plus) with Western Digital HD (under Linux)

6. aix-digest V1 #661 -Reply

7. FIFO from station's to station

8. wd90c33 support?

9. FIFO from station's to station ?

10. Linux Dummy - Accessing Win9x/NT W/Stations on a LAN from Linux

11. headless server "kit" for Linux?

12. Headless Linux

13. Running Linux "headless" and "keyboardless"