Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by Christian Eva » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am posting, wondering why the quotas patch has not found its way into the
1.3.x development series of kernels. I have seen this query asked by a lot of
different people, but not on this newsgroup (apologies if this HAS been
discussed recently).

A _LOT_ of people need quotas on their multiuser systems, and surely inclusion
of the patch into 1.3.x is the ideal place for its refinement before a stable
1.4.x comes out.

To those people not requiring quotas, please don't post saying not to include
this feature, as quotas always have been and likely always will be, a config
time option, even with the patch applied.

Inclusion of quotas into the kernel will prevent the need for some poor person
to maintain the patch for the latest 1.3.x kernel (look at ftp://ftp.cistron.nl
/pub/linux), as was the case with the kswap patches until pressure from fans
of the patch got it included into 1.3.34 or thereabouts.

-- Chris

                   >> PGP key available on request <<
                >>Presence in pub available on request<<

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[...]

Unless something has changed, it was my understanding that the reason the
quota patches were not being included in the standard kernel is that they
don't really work correctly.  I recall someone made a long post detailing
the problems with the quota patches as presently implemented, but I don't
believe I saved it.  In any event, pressure is not the way to get something
included in the kernel -- a good implementation is.

                Leonard

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by bill davids » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| I am posting, wondering why the quotas patch has not found its way into the
| 1.3.x development series of kernels. I have seen this query asked by a lot of
| different people, but not on this newsgroup (apologies if this HAS been
| discussed recently).

Please, this has been beaten to death in a recent thread over the
last few days. Go back and reread it.

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by Christian Eva » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: Unless something has changed, it was my understanding that the reason the
: quota patches were not being included in the standard kernel is that they
: don't really work correctly.  I recall someone made a long post detailing
: the problems with the quota patches as presently implemented, but I don't
: believe I saved it.  In any event, pressure is not the way to get something
: included in the kernel -- a good implementation is.

:               Leonard

Sorry I missed the earlier thread on quotas, I would be grateful if someone
would fill me in on how the debate closed. Maybe something _HAS_ changed,
however, as I was just browsing the two different quota patches, one for
1.2.13 and the other for 1.3.<something recent>. It seems the 1.3.x patches
no longer kludge quotas onto the VFS, they now only work on ext2 filesystems,
on an ext2 inode basis. Anyone else interested can find the latest quota
patches on ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/os/linux/kernel/v1.3 or something very
similar.

My point really was, even if the patches are buggy, surely the 1.3.x series
of development kernels is the place to refine them. But, if the way they
are actually implemented is kludgy, then well... fair enough. Two questions
to end on: Is anyone else working on a better implementation of quotas, if
the latest implementation is poor?
And are they scheduled for inclusion into 1.4.x?

Cheers,

Post by bill davids » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

| Sorry I missed the earlier thread on quotas, I would be grateful if someone
| would fill me in on how the debate closed. Maybe something _HAS_ changed,
| however, as I was just browsing the two different quota patches, one for
| 1.2.13 and the other for 1.3.<something recent>. It seems the 1.3.x patches
| no longer kludge quotas onto the VFS, they now only work on ext2 filesystems,
| on an ext2 inode basis. Anyone else interested can find the latest quota
| patches on ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/os/linux/kernel/v1.3 or something very
| similar.

It's not clear that VFS is the wrong place to put quotas, since it
would avoid having them in one place and not the other. Don't read
this as a statement of support for any implementation, just a
general comment on the pros and cons.

A general quota would be nice because there are bound to be
journaling, compressing, whatever filesystems. *If* it were possible
to put quotas at a lower level it could make the kernel smaller and
faster when using several types.

Technical musing in hope of clarification here...

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by Jason Mcmull » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: It's not clear that VFS is the wrong place to put quotas, since it
: would avoid having them in one place and not the other. Don't read
: this as a statement of support for any implementation, just a
: general comment on the pros and cons.

: A general quota would be nice because there are bound to be
: journaling, compressing, whatever filesystems. *If* it were possible
: to put quotas at a lower level it could make the kernel smaller and
: faster when using several types.

  I concur.  I'm thinking of doing something very similar to
Supermount (automagic floppy mount/umount) so that you:

 *) Start your 'Quota Server'
 *) Mount your filesystems as a subsystem under quotafs

   User writes/reads to any quotafs would be verfiried
by the Quota Server (which, in turn could check over
the network with other Quota Servers), and if the user was
denied, would prevent the read/write/create/whatever.

So, to summarize:
   User Space:  Quota Server
                  *) Would use SUN RPC/named pipe to communicate (???)
                  *) Persistent quota database
                  *) Could be extended to handle ACLs (???)
   Kernel:      Anything mounted under quotafs would
                  *) Have all accesses checked with the quotaserver
                  *) If the quotaserver is dead, only root
                     can access quotafs systems.

 This way, the kernel stays relatively clean, quotafs could
be a loadable module (like I've done to supermount), and
all the hairiness would be done in user-space.

--
Copyright 1995 Jason McMullan; all rights reserved; license for the Microsoft
Network to distribute this text for US $100,000 per copy is hereby granted; all

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by bill davids » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|   I concur.  I'm thinking of doing something very similar to
| Supermount (automagic floppy mount/umount) so that you:
|
|  *) Start your 'Quota Server'
|  *) Mount your filesystems as a subsystem under quotafs
|    User writes/reads to any quotafs would be verfiried
| by the Quota Server (which, in turn could check over
| the network with other Quota Servers), and if the user was
| denied, would prevent the read/write/create/whatever.

So you would quotas which work over the net via NFS as well? That
would certainly be a great feature.

| So, to summarize:
|    User Space:  Quota Server
|                   *) Would use SUN RPC/named pipe to communicate (???)
|                   *) Persistent quota database
|                   *) Could be extended to handle ACLs (???)
|    Kernel:      Anything mounted under quotafs would
|                   *) Have all accesses checked with the quotaserver
|                   *) If the quotaserver is dead, only root
|                      can access quotafs systems.
|
|  This way, the kernel stays relatively clean, quotafs could
| be a loadable module (like I've done to supermount), and
| all the hairiness would be done in user-space.

I wouldn't bet the price of a case of good beer that there will ever
be any support in the kernel, but at least the patches will be
smaller ;-)

This sounds like a great implementation!

Quotas in 1.3.x

Post by Jason Mcmull » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

  I plan to _attempt_ to write most of the quotafs code over thanksgiving,
but the best laid plans of mice and men....

--
Copyright 1995 Jason McMullan; all rights reserved; license for the Microsoft
Network to distribute this text for US $100,000 per copy is hereby granted; all
other use of this text by the Microsoft Network, including storing, relaying,
or reuse is expressly prohibited; distribution by the Microsoft Network
indicates full acceptance of the licensing terms.

1. Serious problem with Quota 1.3 and the 0.99.15 Kernel

    I posted earlier about having problems with Quota 1.3, but after some more
digging i realized the major problem was somewhere in the patch files supplied
for quota 1.3 which you copy into you /linux/fs directory. After running
the full install procedure three times, the rmdir command still locks up
the sessin your in, and the directory does not get deleted.  In the rmdir
function, there are commands relating to quota, so somewhere along the line
quota is not allowing me to delete directories.  is this a known error? Help!

        Kristopher

2. NAT problem

3. quota problems between solaris and solaris machines, and solaris and sunos4.1.3 machines.

4. ppp help needed.....

5. QUOTA 1.3

6. Xerox Printer Configuration

7. Quotas in 1.3.x??

8. Strange Problem: IDE cdrom cannot be mounted after system commander installed

9. quota for 1.3.x

10. 3c509 and 1.3.6x/1.3.7x

11. Diff. between SunOS4.1.3_U1 and SunOS4.1.3_U1 VB

12. Quotas : Format of quota.users & quota.groups ?

13. Quotas on Solaris vs quotas on Linux