Learning to write a device driver for SCSI...

Learning to write a device driver for SCSI...

Post by Drew Eckhar » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>How does someone learn how to write a device driver for SCSI?

Read Rik Faith's paper on doing it (also included in the KHG)
Unfortunately, it's a bit out of date, so you'll also need to read
the source code of some other modern drivers like the new Buslogic driver.
Do something similar.

The KHG has additional information on kernel support facilities which
may be useful.

An operating systems text (Tannenbaum's _Modern Operating Systems_?)
will do a reasonable job of covering basic principles like critical
regions.

Finally, you'll want to do something similar to one of the other PCI
SCSI drivers (53c7,8xx, etc) for detecting the hardware.  If you want
direct access via method 1 or method 2 to PCI configuration space instead
of using the 32 bit BIOS extensions (which don't always work right),
please do the right thing and replace the innards of pcibios* rather
than introducing Yet Another Cut And Paste Copy into the kernel
source.

Quote:>I have a SCSI adapter AHA-2920 which I have been thinking of writing
>a device driver for.

It may (or may not) be compatable with other supported Adaptec boards, in
which case you probably don't want to write a device driver for it; merely
make a few changes to an existing driver.

Of course, to do that, you'll need documentation from Adaptec on both
the old and new boards.

Quote:>What is the level of complexity to writing a device driver for linux?

Somewhere between trivial and thousands of lines of 'C', another
thousand lines of chip microcode, and an assembler for the chip.

Quote:>What parts of the source code would be affected?

drivers/scsi/makefile and drivers/scsi/hosts.c.

Quote:>What college courses would be relevant to such a task?

Operating systems.

Quote:>Any good books on Device drivers?

Yes, but none that are relevant to the Linux SCSI subsystem.
--

Post by Chris Maso » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

How does someone learn how to write a device driver for SCSI?
I have a SCSI adapter AHA-2920 which I have been thinking of writing
a device driver for.

But I think I have alot to learn.  I know the C language, and I've
written many simple programs in another language.

What is the level of complexity to writing a device driver for linux?
What parts of the source code would be affected?

What college courses would be relevant to such a task?

Any good books on Device drivers?

--
Chris Mason

"The Unknown COBOL Programmer"

The opinions expressed are mine, not my Employers.

1. writing scsi device scsi adapter drivers under hp-ux

Hello,
Does anybody out there know if there is any documentation and/or sample
code or some kind of development kit available for writing device
drivers under HP-UX(700 series)? I am interested in adding scsi target
devices to HP's scsi interface as well as adding other scsi host
adapters. Is there some kind of porting/suuport center in HP that I can
contact for assiatance. Appreciate any help.

thanks.

Satya Rao.

2. Adapter for Sun Keyboard

3. Q: Good learning documents for SCSI device drivers

4. Redhat 6/2.2.5 & ncpfs

5. "Writing a SCSI Device Driver of Linux" manuscript

6. Apache Questions

7. pointers for writing a SCSI device driver

8. Help! /var/log/messages gone..

9. Writing a device driver for AHA-2920 SCSI...

10. "Writing a SCSI Device Driver of Linux" manuscript

11. Questions on writing a SCSI device driver

12. how to write a pseudo scsi device driver

13. Writing SCSI Device Driver for DDS Tape Drive for linux