C libs *.h files for linux required

Post by Stewart Dinnag » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi All
       I'm a bit new to this linux OS so please forgive my ignorance, we
have a sco system here with full Development kit for C, which I have used to
develop some simple programs, I have a reasonable understanding of this , We
recently downloaded a Linux Distribution from redhat (very impressed,
particularly with 95 alike Xwindows GUI), I then wanted to make some of my C
prog's for the system, So we downloaded a Development package (including GNU
GCC) however I can't find any Header files eg. stdio.h which are normally in
/usr/include on our SCO systems.

     Am I being a bit thick or is there a perfectly logical reason for
this????

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>      Am I being a bit thick or is there a perfectly logical reason for
> this????

looks like you just forgot to install the glibc-devel package, which
contains all of the standard C library header files.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.2b2 kernel 2.1.122  i586  | at public servers
[Norm tries to prove that he is not Anton Kreitzer.]
Norm:  Afternoon, everybody!
All:   Anton!
                -- Cheers, The Two Faces of Norm

Post by James Youngm » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi All I'm a bit new to this linux OS so please forgive my
> ignorance, we have a sco system here with full Development kit for
> C, which I have used to develop some simple programs, I have a
> reasonable understanding of this , We recently downloaded a Linux
> Distribution from redhat (very impressed, particularly with 95 alike
> Xwindows GUI), I then wanted to make some of my C prog's for the
> system, So we downloaded a Development package (including GNU GCC)
> however I can't find any Header files eg. stdio.h which are normally
> in /usr/include on our SCO systems.

Install the package whose name starts glibc-devel.  You will find this
on the first Red Hat CD, so if your Red Hat CD is mounted on
/mnt/cdrom, you might type:-

rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/glibc-devel*

--

1. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

Hi Linuxers,

I just got a new copy of gcc-2.4.5 and source code of the pl11.
After having done the installation of gcc-2.4.5, I realised that
I have an extra directory: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux.
The question is whether I need to keep the old gcc stuff under
the i386-linux.  I really like to clean it up so as to save 5.1
meg disk space (another poor Linux user  ;-( ).

Your answer is very appreciated.  Please send answer directly
to my address or the corresponding interest parties to reduce
the network load.  Thank you in advance.

Wing

2. Mounting CDROM

3. ld: output file requires shared lib...

4. Netscape is the best web brower for Linux? Where is the alternative?

5. automake causing linker to look in /usr/lib/.libs for file

6. Encore DVD Driver

7. shared lib required by packages

8. PLIP help...and a weird hd...

9. 2.1.5 Emacs Package requires a missing Shared Lib

10. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

11. Libs required by rpms.....

12. reboot required for /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg change?

13. Required libs for Gimp install?