a.out and ELF executable format specs

Post by Doug Schul » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 08:06:58

Does anyone know where I can find the specs for a.out and ELF executable
formats?

Thanks,
Doug

a.out and ELF executable format specs

Post by cLIeNUX us » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:45:37

Quote:>Does anyone know where I can find the specs for a.out and ELF executable
>formats?

>Thanks,
>Doug

-more- http://www.veryComputer.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/*sy.html
or thereabouts

Rick Hohensee
                                                www.clienux.com

a.out and ELF executable format specs

Post by hua.wang. » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:40:21

I'm newbie

 when I compiler my device drive (hello world), gcc ends in a hello.o file
while trying to insmod hello.o, linux complain its not a elf file, so I
just changed file name to hello.elf. and this time it loads but linux
again complain the kernel I used to compile is not the kernel I'm running.

 hellok.elf: kernel-module version mismatch
        hellok.elf was compiled for kernel version 2.4.0-0.26
        while this kernel is version 2.2.16-22.

 thanks for all your suggestions!

 tony

Post by Kasper Dupon » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:17:05

> I'm newbie

>  when I compiler my device drive (hello world), gcc ends in a hello.o file
> while trying to insmod hello.o, linux complain its not a elf file, so I
> just changed file name to hello.elf. and this time it loads

I never heard about that error message,
could you please tell exactly what you
typed and exactly what response you got.

Quote:> but linux
> again complain the kernel I used to compile is not the kernel I'm running.

>  hellok.elf: kernel-module version mismatch
>         hellok.elf was compiled for kernel version 2.4.0-0.26
>         while this kernel is version 2.2.16-22.

Perhaps you are the unlucky owner of a
RedHat 7.0 system. RedHat 7.0 comes with
kernel and kernel header of two different
versions. To make everything even worse
they have applied loads of patches and
one of them makes the version information
in kernel and modules incorrect.

If that is the reason for your problems
the best solution probably is to upgrade
to RedHat 7.1. After doing that you also
should consider opgrading to the latest
versions of the kernel and the compiler.

It might be posible to get your module
working without upgrading your system.
When compiling your module add a -I
option on the command line.

gcc -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include \
-D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -O2 -Wall -c module.c

Before you can do that you might have to
install the kernel sources, and you
probably also have to enter the kernel
configuration and set up the first few
options to match the kernel you are runing.

--
Kasper Dupont

www.wotsit.org