Keep old configuration when compiling new kernel version?

Keep old configuration when compiling new kernel version?

Post by Andreas Schmid » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:59:16

Hi experts,

when I compile a new kernel version, it comes with a default configuration
that does not fit to my system.

What is the best way to preserve my old well-tried configuration in the new
kernel? I tried:

cp linux-2.4.18/.config linux-2.4.20/.config
cd linux-2.4.20/
make oldconfig

Then, I just pressed enter for all new options. But this resulted in several
unresolved symbols when finally making modules_install (mtd, wan, ...).

How can I solve that problem?
What is the easiest way to just inherit my old configutation to the new
kernel?

Thanks!

Post by Jirka Kosin » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:38:42

> What is the best way to preserve my old well-tried configuration in the new
> kernel? I tried:
> cp linux-2.4.18/.config linux-2.4.20/.config
> cd linux-2.4.20/
> make oldconfig

This is supposed to work. If you get any strange errors, consider
reporting it as bug.

--
JiKos.

Post by Floyd Davidso » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:19:03

>> What is the best way to preserve my old well-tried configuration in the new
>> kernel? I tried:
>> cp linux-2.4.18/.config linux-2.4.20/.config
>> cd linux-2.4.20/
>> make oldconfig

>This is supposed to work. If you get any strange errors, consider
>reporting it as bug.

Or, first figure out what you've done that is wrong.

The most likely problems with the above are that it is not a
clean source code install.  Either running "make mrproper" prior
to copying the config file into place, or running "make clean"
after the config file is there, will correct for any previous
incorrect attempts a compiling.  Then after running "make
oldconfig", do a "make dep", etc. (don't forget to make and
install the modules too).

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

1. Compile software on new kernel for old kernel

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help compiling some software to run under an older
kernel than the one running on my system. I've Googled and Google Grouped
this subject, but most of the articles/posts are about kernel compiling,
rather than compiling software. Although I have a specific use for this
procedure in mind, I am curious as to how this is done in general.

Specs:
Host system: Core Linux (http://coredistro.sourceforge.net) running kernel
2.4.19, gcc 3.0.3, make 3.79.1 - Celeron 700, 512Mb RAM etc.
Target system: Freesco (http://www.freesco.org) 0.2.7 router running kernel
2.0.38 (I'm told), gcc and make not included - P60, 32Mb RAM etc

My specific use is: I want to compile thttpd-2.20c
http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ for a Freesco 0.2.7 router system. I
have compiled, made, installed and tested my tweaked thttpd-2.20c server
under kernel 2.4.19 successfully. But when I try to run the version compiled
under 2.4.19 on my Freesco box it returns the error: thttpd: No such file or
directory. The Freesco forum suggested that this could be due to compiling
under a different kernel then the one it was being run under. (It seemed
more like a file system error to me though.)

As Freesco doesn't have make/gcc etc. I want to use my Core Linux system to
compile the software. (I cannot use the packaged versions of thttpd that are
available for Freesco because there are some compile-time tweaks I want to
make.) I assume one way round this problem would be to compile and boot
using the 2.0.38 kernel, compile thttpd and then restart using the 2.4.19
kernel. However, I'm sure that there was an easier way - there usually is
with Linux.

So, I have downloaded the kernel source for version 2.0.38 to my Core Linux
system, unzipped it to /usr/src/linux-2.0.38 and changed the sysmlink
/usr/src/linux to point to this new directory rather than the 2.4.19 kernel
source. thttpd uses a fairly standard configure script, which I have run in
the following ways:

./configure --prefix=/safe --target=i386-pc-linux-gnu
./configure --prefix=/safe --target=i386-pc-linux-gnu --includedir=/usr/src/
linux/include
./configure --prefix=/safe --target=i386-pc-linux-gnu --includedir=/usr/src/
linux/include --libdir=/usr/src/linux/lib

(admittedly this last one was a long shot ;-) ) However, the compiled
binaries are always the same size as when compiled under 2.4.19, leading me
to believe that what I'm trying is not the right way.

If anyone has any useful links on this subject, or can otherwise help out,
I'd be grateful.

Cheers, and sorry for the long post.

Tony Whitmore

2. Installing Linux PPC 2000 on iMac 333

3. Problems Compiling New Kernel w/ Slackware's version of 1.2 kernel

4. Problem setting up IP Masquerade

5. Overwriting old KDE with new compiled version?

6. opening email ports

7. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

8. Sil3112A & modes udma6 - udma7

9. New kernel -> old version #

10. replacing old version of netscape with new version

11. Installing new patch version w/o backing out old version

12. Compiled new kernel but old "module-info" file

13. Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?