Raw disk access and the 'raw' program

Post by Myke Morg » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Someone in this group recently pointed me to the 'raw' program and using
it to access disk drives in 'truly raw' mode. It works great. But then I
tried the program on other machines and I've had various problems.

It works on Red Hat 6.2 with 2.2.14-5.0smp kernel. However, on RH 6.1
(2.2.12-20smp) and RH6.2 with 2.2.16 kernel it does not work.

2.2.12 says:

% raw -qa
Cannot open master raw device '/dev/raw' (No such file or directory)

2.2.16 says:

% raw -qa
Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

I know the 2.2.16 system is kind of flakey (not installed by me). But the
2.2.12 system seems like it should work.

The only thing I've found in the kernel source is the file
drivers/char/raw.c. This file is in the 2.2.12 source, but not in the
2.2.16 source that I have. Do I need to do something to enable the raw
access? Did I just get lucky with my first system? Possibly, but every
other 2.2.14 machine I have looked on works fine. It doesn't look like it
is a loadable module or anything...

TIA,
myke

--
I proclaim you, FOUR!

Post by phil-news-nos.. » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

| 2.2.12 says:
|
| % raw -qa
| Cannot open master raw device '/dev/raw' (No such file or directory)
|
| 2.2.16 says:
|
| % raw -qa
| Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

It's probably a matter of the node in /dev not having been created.
Find out the major/minor device code for these, read the man page
for "mknod", login as root, and fix it.

--
| Phil Howard - KA9WGN | My current websites: linuxhomepage.com, ham.org
| phil  (at)  ipal.net +----------------------------------------------------

1. 'Raw' ethernet access

Hello,

I'm currently trying to port a DOS application in C++ to Linux.  The
program uses a DOS packet driver to receive raw packets of information
from another machine (I'm using the ethernet as a fast one-way serial
line).  I would like two ethernet cards in my final Linux system one
dedicated to the TCP/IP network the other handling the raw packets but I
have no idea of how to do this.

One solution is to use a program I wrote some time ago which directly
accesses NE2000 IO port registers to read the value in the receive buffer
but this is crude, messy and (of course!) only works for NE2000 cards

Can anyone suggest any alternative?

Cheers,

-Simon Harrison
Chilbolton Observatory.

2. ethernet problem

3. Ignorign Floppy disk errors or Raw-Read Raw-Write

4. kde 2.2.2 and xinerama?

5. SLS's a2-disk - DOS-formatted or raw-formatted??

6. Anonymous FTP with Virtual Hosts

7. Help- '/dev/[raw]lp' cannot create - Help

8. installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive

9. Oracle LONG RAW's and Tar's

10. Can't switch VC's in RAW keyboard mode (Dosemu)

11. Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device)

12. Single floppy w/linux & dd for raw device 'images' of Win FS?