Linux vs. FreeBSD Device Driver Model

Post by QuasiCod » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 06:23:06

I have a client who wants a me to write a Linux and FreeBSD LAN driver.  I
was wondering if the device driver models are all that different or can the
Linux code be easily ported to FreeSBD.

Thanks in advance.

((&-<

Post by Jerry Peter » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 06:54:23

> I have a client who wants a me to write a Linux and FreeBSD LAN driver.  I
> was wondering if the device driver models are all that different or can the
> Linux code be easily ported to FreeSBD.
> Thanks in advance.
> ((&-<

AFAIK the sym53c8xx and ncr53c8xx drivers originated in BSD.

        Jerry

Post by Pete Zaitc » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:56:34

> I have a client who wants a me to write a Linux and FreeBSD LAN driver.  I
> was wondering if the device driver models are all that different or can the
> Linux code be easily ported to FreeSBD.

> Thanks in advance.

> ((&-<

If you really want to keep the code common, I suggest you
picked up Craig Metz's USENIX papers on the subject.
Personally, I would not bother, but keep two drivers
with essentially similar structure. It's not _that_ hard.

-- Pete