Raw Devices and Asynch IO on Sybase/Linux

Raw Devices and Asynch IO on Sybase/Linux

Post by Wim ten Ha » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Now that Sybase hase released ASE for LINUX
> can someone elaborate on how to do
>    Asynch IO on Raw devices in LINUX

   For raw devices, linux does unfortunately only support block devices,
   you can use them and the Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3 Linux port does support
   them.  The 'sybinit' was adapted to configure them and will itself
   determine the max space per device/partition available.

   Async I/O, that is on the wish list.  Linux does *not* bring any Posix
   defined API supporting Asynch I/O,  struct aiocb { ... } and functions
   as aio_read, aio_write, aio_cancel ...

   I know that there are implementations done by people but they are
   not part of the main distributions yet.  If they become available
   I'll be happy to include their use, if they work well.  The libs I
   did spot offer the ability of user-space based Async I/O.

   For the better, I like Async I/O support natively supported from the
   linux kernel (LWP). Perhaps some bright lights should start a project
   for that.  Please update me with pointers if there is work in this
   field going on.

   I also like implementations for sigaltstack(2), getcontext(2) and
   setcontext(2) to go in a.s.a.p ;-)

Thanks,
-- Wim ten Have.

Post by Andreas Schwa » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

|>    I also like implementations for sigaltstack(2), getcontext(2) and
|>    setcontext(2) to go in a.s.a.p ;-)

sigaltstack is already in.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something

Post by Wim Ten Ha » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>|>    I also like implementations for sigaltstack(2), getcontext(2) and
>|>    setcontext(2) to go in a.s.a.p ;-)

> sigaltstack is already in.

   I noticed that but it only counts for 2.1.x (x > 100) kernels.

-- Wim ten Have.

1. raw vs quick-io vs direct io

Well, there is a raging debate going on about wether or not we want to use
raw volumes or vxvfs with quick-io or qfs with direct-io for the Oracle
DB's.  Hmm...how come no one mentioned ufs with directi-io & logging?

Anyone have any personal opionns on the matter that they want to share?

I'm leaning towards raw volumes since it's cheap (using SVM) and the
performance is better.

What is the advantage of doing a filesystem other than managebility?  BLIB
backups with Veritas?

2. New to OpenBSD ipnat problems

3. PAGE_SIZE IO for RAW (RAW VARY)

4. Welcome to FreeBSD unix discussion forums, message boards !

5. Partial devfs support for raw IO devices

6. x-windows help ?

7. Raw IO Device Drivers

8. Help configuring zmodem with Tip

9. character device, block device , raw device?

10. Asynch IO and Oracle

11. AIX Asynch. IO & DB2

12. How relative do raw device bind block device on linux ?

13. Asynch socket IO