Linux Clusters

Post by Arun Goe » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:40:29

Hi ,

I am new to Linux.

I wanted to get some information about Linux clusters?

Any kind of help will be appreciated..

Thanks
Arun

Linux Clusters

Post by Daniel Frankli » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:40:16

> Hi ,

> I am new to Linux.

> I wanted to get some information about Linux clusters?

I can strongly recommend MOSIX: http://www.mosix.org. Basically it does
transparent load balancing - it's great for CPU-intensive tasks which can be
broken up into many small processes. You can just fork them off and the
child processes will move off to other less-busy nodes.

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering

Linux Clusters

Post by Ittay Freim » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:15:41

> > Hi ,

> > I am new to Linux.

> > I wanted to get some information about Linux clusters?

> I can strongly recommend MOSIX: http://www.mosix.org. Basically it does
> transparent load balancing - it's great for CPU-intensive tasks which can be
> broken up into many small processes. You can just fork them off and the
> child processes will move off to other less-busy nodes.

> - Daniel

mosix is no longer GPLed. look in http://www.openmosix.org for a
spin-off project that is fully GPLed

Linux Clusters

Post by Lars Marowsky-Br » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:59:53

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:40:29 -0600, Arun Goel

Quote:> I wanted to get some information about Linux clusters?

Well - what kind of clustering do you need?

Linux Clusters

Post by Daniel Frankli » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:34:56

> mosix is no longer GPLed. look in http://www.openmosix.org for a
> spin-off project that is fully GPLed

Rubbish. MOSIX 1.5.7 is released under the GNU Public License, this is
clearly stated in the source code. The OpenMosix project is a fork of Mosix
with a different development model. Please get your facts right.

- Daniel

*      Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering

1. Can linux or linux clustering do this... ?

Is there a way to join multiple linux hosts to:

[1]  Cumulatively raise the total number of cpu cycles for completing
a single task or multiple tasks in less time;

[2]  Cumulatively raise the total number of processors such that the
total load capacity for the group of hosts increases in some
proportion to the number of added processor hosts;

[3]  Affect a similar net result to SMP, but whereas the processors do
not exist on the same physical host?

I have done some preliminary looking into clustering and I remain
uncertain as to whether or not clustering meets any of the above
criteria.

Can anybody point me into the right direction please?

TIA,
Charles Wilkins

2. Help defining these system terms...

3. CFP: Linux Clustering Workshop at Linux Kongress 2001

4. A good book for Unix Network Programming

5. Apache+mysql on linux cluster!

6. POP mail without accounts

7. Is anyone working on Linux Clustering?

8. Expert 3D Lite signal quality

9. Linux Cluster Rendering for Maya

10. home linux cluster ?

11. linux-cluster list

12. NCSA build Playstation 2 Linux cluster -- ncsa.UIUC.edu

13. linux clustering