Problems with interrupt handler

Post by Sven Heursc » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

i have a problem with an interrupt handler. When the interrupt occurs,
I got the following message:

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I am using the redhat 6.0 distributen with Kernel 2.2.5. The interrupt
handler does nothing else, than sending a sigusr2 to an application.

TIA
S. Heursch

1. Problems installing Interrupt handler

Hi,
I have some problems installing an interrupt handler for a new device.
I gues I missed something in the documentation, but I really can't see
it.
Maybe somebody can help me. Thanks in advance.

In my device driver, which was able to poll the device I wanted to
insert the
interrupt handler. So I did the following steps:
1) I wrote the following function:
    static void psm_intr(int irq, void *dev_id, struct pt_regs *regs)
    {
      /*  printk("PSM: INTERRUPT !!\n");*/
      return;
    }
2) I inserted the following statement in the function init_module()
     if (request_irq(psm_local.irq, psm_intr, 0, "psm", NULL)) {
       printk("PSM: Can't allocate IRQ %d for device\n",psm_local.irq);
       return -EIO;
     }
This seems to work since the /proc/interrupts show now that IRQ 10 is
handled
by my device "PSM"

But as soon as the device initiates an interrupt the system hangs.
When I'm removing the lines in init_module() and initiate the interrupt
the there just no effect (so I guess the device itself is OK).

What did I miss in the docu?

I even tried to patch the kernel in the ../irq.c to printk as soon as
IRQ10 is called and
do no further action. But this didn't work? How does the interrupt
handling work?
I read "The Linux Kernel" by David Rusling, but I didn't get the glue.
Is there
a better reference for doing device driver development?

Thanks for answer.

--Joe

2. Limited user rights

3. Interrupt handler problem

4. how to format harddisk?

5. Handlers, Handlers, Handlers

6. Please help me

7. interrupt handler

8. Hauppauge WinTV PVR

9. aiee, killing interrupt handler

10. aiee, killed interrupt handler - kernel panic

11. driver: interrupt handler not getting called

12. Serializing data & device access across file ops and interrupt handler

13. SMP aic7xxx 2.4.3 boot panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler