memory space

Post by Xintian W » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi, who can tell me how big is the address space of a linux program?
2GB? 4GB? If, in my case, I have 512MB RAM, and 1.9GB swap space,
how big can my program be? If, at the same time, I use mmap instead of
malloc (which doesn't use swap space), then what's up-limit? What if I
have 1GB RAM? Besides, is there a way to get rid of the 2GB swap space
limit?

thanks

xintian

1. Problem mapping PCI memory space to user space

Hi,

I want to map a local address space of my PCI device to user space. The
local adress space is mapped in PCI memory space and its size is 1024
bytes. I have created a devmap entry point in my driver according to
the "Writing Device Drivers" document. The drivers works on a Sparc
platform but when I use it on a x86 platform mmap fails. The global
error returns ENXIO. The devmap_devmem_setup() function in my driver
returns -1. When I change the size of the local address space to 4096
bytes equal to page size, it works. Anyway this is no solution for me,
I want to be able to map local address spaces smaller as the space
size. By the way I round up the len parameter to a multiple of the page
size, so thats not the problem.

What could be the problem? What is the difference with the Sparc
platform? Is it not possible to map a local address space smaller as
the page size?

Someone who can help me?

2. Help for Linux novice :Problems with PPP,SLIP and dip-scripts etc

3. memory space vs page space

4. Lost in NIS... help!

5. core dump with shared memory space and threads

6. getting system info for statistics

7. OHCI map memory space error

8. HELP! Network card problem.

9. How do I read the memory space of an active process ?

10. Prob. with pcmcia-- "cs: warning: no high memory space available!"

11. Enlarging TeX's macro memory space...

12. Driver to map PCI memory space

13. kernel panic: trying to free swapper memory space